BJP civic chief films ₹1 million reward announcement for beheading TMC MP Saayoni Ghosh, later claims video is fake | Today’s news

Pradeep Dixit, president of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Sikandrabad district in Bulandshahr district of Uttar Pradesh, reportedly announced 1 million crown reward for beheading Saayoni Ghosh, according to a viral video, which he later denied.

“Whoever brings the severed head of Saayoni Ghosh will be given a cash reward. 1 crore from my end,” Dixit said in the purported video.

Hindu organizations alleged that Saayoni Ghosh posted inappropriate content on social media about Lord Shiva and Shivlinga, which they said hurt the sentiments of the Hindu community. Several people reportedly took part in a protest over the issue in Sikandrabad on Sunday.

(LiveMint could not independently verify the authenticity of the video)

According to a report in India Today, Dixit mentioned that the footage was from a procession held on Sunday and claimed that miscreants had used AI technology to manipulate the video before circulating it on social media, adding, “I have not made any such statement.

Bulandshahr Congress District President Ziaur Rahman condemned Dixit’s alleged remark and sought a First Information Report (FIR) against him. According to Times Of India, he said, “How can women feel safe when there are such people in the party? They are giving reward for killing a woman. This is shameful and senior party functionaries must take appropriate action against him. We demand that the police register an FIR.”

Meanwhile, BJP district president Vikas Chauhan, speaking to TOI, distanced the party from Dixit’s reported remarks, saying, “The party does not support such derogatory statements, even if made by any of its own members.” He added that the BJP protects the dignity of women and treats them with respect.

Saayoni Ghosh in controversy

A social media post from Saayoni Ghosh’s account sparked widespread controversy in 2015 after critics claimed it insulted Lord Shiva and hurt religious sentiments.

In 2021, after her entry into politics, Tathagata Roy, former West Bengal BJP chief and former governor of three northeastern states, filed a complaint against her at the Rabindra Sarobar police station in Kolkata.

“I am a devotee of Lord Shiva. I undertook the Kailash-Mansarovar Yatra on foot in 1996 to pray to Shiva. When I saw this picture shared by actress Saayoni Ghosh, it hurt my religious sentiments. I request you to investigate the matter and take necessary action against her,” he said in the complaint.

Soon after the controversy broke, Saayoni Ghosh offered an explanation, saying that her social media account had been hacked.

The issue continued to haunt her politically and was repeatedly raised by the Bharatiya Janata Party during the 2021 West Bengal Assembly elections.

The controversy resurfaced in the 2024 Lok Sabha polls when Ghosh contested from the Jadavpur constituency and opponents renewed their attacks on the same post.

Similar Posts