Has Trump postponed the planned attack on Iran? US Prez signals chance for nuclear deal after Tehran’s peace proposal | Today’s news
US President Donald Trump said on Monday he had postponed a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent Washington a peace proposal. In a social media post on Truth Social, POTUS said there is now a “very good chance” of reaching an agreement limiting Iran’s nuclear program. He hinted at the possibility of a peace deal amid ongoing nuclear deal negotiations.
The post said: “The Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, have asked me to postpone our planned military attack on the Islamic Republic of Iran, which they believe is serious and planned for tomorrow. Leaders and allies, an agreement will be reached that will be very acceptable to the United States of America as well as for all countries in the Middle East and beyond.”
“Tomorrow will NOT carry out Iran’s planned attack”
He threatened Iran that the US would not hold back from rescheduling the planned attack, adding: “This deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN! Out of respect for the leaders mentioned above, I have instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Daniel Caine, that we will have an attack tomorrow, but we are NOT scheduled for another attack on Iran.ordered them to be ready to launch a full-scale attack on Iran in the shortest possible time if an acceptable agreement was not reached.
Speaking to reporters later, he said the United States would be satisfied if it could reach an agreement with Iran that would prevent Tehran from acquiring a nuclear weapon. “It seems like there’s a very good chance they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy,” Trump was quoted as saying by Reuters.
Amid the fragile ceasefire, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran’s views were “communicated to the US side through Pakistan”, Reuters reported.
According to a Pakistani source, Iran’s latest proposal was shared with Washington. A number of proposals and counter-proposals, including a 10-point and a 14-point proposal, have been put forward in recent weeks since the April 8 ceasefire. In particular, Islamabad has acted as a negotiator between the two sides and relayed messages in the war in West Asia since the only round of peace talks held last month.
Iran responds to Trump’s threat
Iran responded to Trump’s latest threat by warning the US and its allies against any further “strategic mistakes or miscalculations” in attacking Tehran.
Iran’s Supreme Joint Military Command, Khatam al-Anbiya, said Iran’s armed forces were “more prepared and stronger than in the past”, saying the Iranian armed forces were “ready to pull the trigger” in the event of any renewed US attack, Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency reported. “Any renewed aggression and invasion … will be responded to swiftly, decisively, forcefully and comprehensively,” a top military official said.