‘The clock is ticking’: Trump warns Iran to move ‘FAST’ or ‘there will be nothing left’ | Today’s news

US President Donald Trump issued a strong warning to Iran on Sunday (May 17th) amid rising tensions around the Strait of Hormuz, halting diplomatic efforts over Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump wrote: “The clock is ticking for Iran and they should move, FAST, or there will be nothing left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENTIAL.”

The statement reflected growing frustration in the Trump administration over Iran’s refusal to give up what Washington describes as nuclear weapons aspirations, as well as concerns over instability in the strategically critical Strait of Hormuz.

Trump-Netanyahu talks focus on Iran

Trump also held talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday as the two leaders closely followed developments in the region.

In a speech earlier in the day, Netanyahu emphasized Israel’s vigilance about Tehran.

“Our eyes are also open regarding Iran,” Netanyahu said, according to a Hebrew translation. “I will be speaking today, as I do every few days, with our friend President Trump.”

Netanyahu added that their discussions would likely cover Trump’s recent trip to China and broader regional developments.

“There are certainly many possibilities and we are prepared for any scenario,” he said.

US pressures China to support Iran

Meanwhile, US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer revealed that Trump had secured assurances from Chinese officials that Beijing would not provide “material support” to Iran.

In an interview with ABC News, Greer clarified that Washington is not seeking direct Chinese participation in the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

“When the president came in, he didn’t ask them to take action in the Strait of Hormuz,” Greer said. “He’s been very focused on making sure they don’t provide material support to Iran. That’s a commitment he’s gotten and confirmed.”

Greer acknowledged that China has a strong economic interest in ensuring maritime stability in the region.

“China has a clear interest in reopening the strait,” he said. “That’s what the Chinese said.

But he stopped short of Beijing actively pressuring Tehran.

“The president is not seeking joint military operations with the Chinese,” Greer added. “But of course we want to make sure they don’t interfere with anything we’re doing to try to clear this situation up.”

Pakistan entered the diplomatic effort

As tensions continued to rise, Pakistan increased diplomatic ties with Iran.

Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi arrived in Tehran on Saturday for a two-day official visit and met with Iranian officials.

According to Iran’s semi-official media, the visit is part of Pakistan’s ongoing efforts to help revive stalled peace talks between the United States and Iran.

The renewed diplomatic activity comes at a time of heightened uncertainty in the Middle East, with global attention focused on the Strait of Hormuz – a vital energy transit route – and the wider implications of any escalation involving Iran, Israel and the United States.

Read also | Before Bakrid, a buffalo with Trump-like hair attracts visitors to Bangladesh

Iran says the US has set tough conditions for a peace deal

Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency said the United States had laid out five main conditions for a possible peace deal with Tehran, highlighting the deep differences that continue to complicate efforts to end the ongoing conflict between the two countries.

According to the report, Washington’s demands reportedly include the transfer of uranium linked to Iran’s nuclear program to the United States, limited access to frozen Iranian assets and refusal to pay the reparations sought by Tehran.

Fars did not cite sources for the claims, and U.S. officials have not publicly confirmed the reported terms.

The Fars report outlines the alleged US demands

The Iranian News Agency claimed that the proposed terms included:

Transporting uranium linked to Iran’s nuclear program to the US

No compensation payments to Iran despite Tehran’s demands

Freeing less than a quarter of Iran’s frozen overseas assets

The news comes amid continued diplomatic uncertainty over efforts to restore stability to the region and reopen the strategically important Strait of Hormuz.

Pezeshkian says Iran is committed to diplomacy

Despite the tensions, President Masoud Pezeshkian said Iran remains committed to pursuing a diplomatic solution to the conflict.

Iranian authorities are also reportedly working on a legal framework that would allow some ships to pass through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important energy shipping routes.

Several power supplies have successfully passed through the strait in recent weeks despite fears of disruption.

Oil prices rise as conflict continues

Global oil markets remain under pressure as traders fear a possible escalation of hostilities between the United States and Iran.

Brent crude oil prices have risen about 50 percent since the start of the conflict, buoyed by fears of supply disruptions and uncertainty over maritime security in the Persian Gulf region.

Market jitters intensified after US President Donald Trump returned from China without securing a breakthrough in reopening the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran’s uranium stockpile remains a key obstacle

One of the biggest unresolved issues remains Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium.

The location of the material has reportedly remained unknown since a joint US-Israeli bombing campaign targeting Iran’s nuclear facilities in June last year.

Uncertainty over uranium stockpiles continues to complicate negotiations and raise concerns about the future of Iran’s nuclear capabilities.

The White House under pressure before the election

The conflict has created a growing political challenge for the White House as officials try to stabilize energy markets while avoiding further military escalation.

The administration is facing pressure to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, lower global oil prices and end the conflict, which is increasingly drawing criticism ahead of November’s US midterm elections.

The conflict caused major regional disruption

The US-Israeli military campaign against Iran, which began on February 28, has reportedly left thousands dead, most of them inside Iran.

Tehran responded with retaliatory strikes targeting US allies in the Persian Gulf region, including the United Arab Emirates.

Read also | What do Iran and the US demand in peace talks? 5 terms each

Similar Posts