Over 400 laborers from four southern states rescued from forced labor in Nizamabad brick kilns

Several laborers were rescued from working conditions in a cluster of brick kilns in Armoor mandal during raids on Tuesday (May 19). | Photo credit: Special arrangement

Over 400 labourers, including nearly 100 children, were rescued on Tuesday (May 19) in a major operation in Telangana district’s Nizamabad after authorities uncovered alleged forced labor conditions at a cluster of brick kilns in Armoor mandal.

The rescue operation was carried out at four brick kilns in Degam village, also known as Degaon, where migrant workers from Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Odisha were allegedly forced to work under exploitative conditions.

Officials said the raids were conducted at two sites belonging to BTR Brick Kiln, which has been identified as primary, along with adjacent kilns associated with SSV Brick Kiln.

Armored Police along with other departments conducted raids at BTR Brick Kiln and adjoining places where workers were forced to work under exploitative conditions. | Photo credit: Special arrangement

Three special police teams of almost 30 members of the Armour division were deployed in the operation. Armoor Police Inspector Satyanarayana said about 200 persons had already been formally counted by 8:00 pm, while the process of identification and verification of all the rescued workers would continue late on Tuesday night. The few rescued were women and children, many showing visible signs of malnutrition.

A preliminary investigation revealed that the workers were allegedly kept in “slavery-like” conditions. Workers were denied a regular wage and instead issued “vouchers” that could only be exchanged for basic goods. A laborer from Tamil Nadu claimed that he had worked in the kiln for almost four years without receiving any direct wages and that his family was surviving on a ₹200 food voucher issued once a week.

Workers also alleged restrictions on movement, denial of minimum wages, inability to freely change jobs or negotiate wages, and incidents of intimidation, physical violence, and sexual abuse.

The operation was launched following a tip-off from relatives of one of the workers, who informed the authorities that several workers were allegedly being detained and exploited in the furnaces. Based on the information, the district administration along with the police and other agencies planned the raid.

Rescued workers carry their belongings in pushcarts to rescue vehicles on Tuesday. | Photo credit: Special arrangement

After the operation, several workers were seen collecting their belongings from temporary shelters near the furnaces and carrying them on pushcarts to the rescue vehicles. The rescued workers were later moved to a designated facility where food and temporary shelter were provided while officials completed documentation and verification procedures.

Mr. Satyanarayana said police teams are recording statements, identifying victims and assessing the extent of exploitation at the kilns. He said criminal cases under the Forced Labor System (Abolition) Act, 1976, Child and Juvenile Labor (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, Human Trafficking and other relevant laws will be registered after a formal complaint is lodged and records belonging to the kiln owners are verified.

Rescued workers served food and temporary safe shelter to authorities in Armour on Tuesday. | Photo credit: Special arrangement

“Rescue operations have been completed and we are now in the process of identifying and documenting all the victims. A panchanama will be conducted and those responsible for running the plant will be arrested. We are also verifying wage records and other documents related to the brick kilns,” the officer said.

Authorities are also expected to record testimonies, identify vulnerable persons, issue release certificates to survivors of involuntary labor and facilitate rehabilitation measures, including financial assistance and repatriation of interstate migrant workers.

Published – 19 May 2026 17:05 IST