Skip to content

Will the US military attack Iran this weekend? Did negotiations to achieve diplomacy fail? | Today’s news

February 19, 2026

The US military is ready to launch a strike on Iran this weekend; however, President Donald Trump has yet to make a final decision on whether to authorize such actions, CNN reported Wednesday (local time).

The report, citing sources, said the White House had been told the military could be ready to attack by the weekend, following a significant build-up of air and naval forces in the Middle East in recent days. But another source said Trump had been privately discussing the pros and cons of military action, as well as seeking input from advisers and allies on the way forward. However, it remains unclear whether he will make a decision by the weekend.

Indirect talks between the US and Iran

The development comes days after US and Iranian officials met in Geneva and held indirect talks on Tuesday (local time), which Tehran described as “more constructive” than the previous one earlier this month. Indirect talks lasted over three hours, then left without a clear decision. But Iran’s top negotiator said the two sides had agreed on a set of “main principles” and one US official said “many details still need to be discussed”.

Diplomacy is Trump’s first option: Karoline Leavitt

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Wednesday (local time) that they expect Tehran to provide more details on its negotiating position in the coming weeks. However, she did not add anything about whether Trump would delay military action during that time period. She said, “I’m not going to set deadlines on behalf of the president of the United States,” adding that while “diplomacy is always his first option,” military action remains on the table.

Leavitt went on to say that while there are many reasons and arguments to target Iran, Trump is “first and foremost” relying on guidance from his national security team.

Will the USS Gerald R. Ford arrive in the Middle East?

Fears of a possible military confrontation between the two sides have increased due to ambiguity from White House officials. This comes as officials continue to hope for diplomacy. The USS Gerald R. Ford, the most advanced carrier strike group in the U.S. fleet, could also arrive in the Middle East this weekend amid a broader military buildup. US Air Force assets based in the UK, which include refueling tankers and fighter jets, are also moving closer to the region, the report added.

Trump’s statements about Tehran in recent weeks have done little to build support among Americans or the US Congress for a major operation. While he signaled an interest in regime change and reiterated that Iran must not acquire a nuclear weapon, he did not clearly define the targets of a potential strike.

Iran, on the other hand, is strengthening several of its nuclear facilities and covering key sites with concrete and large amounts of earth as US military pressure increases, according to new satellite imagery and analysis from the Institute for Science and International Security.

Index
    Settings