
Virginia Giuffre’s family have said they feel a sense of justice following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, saying “no one is above the law – not even the royal family”.
Giuffre was one of the most prominent accusers of disgraced US financier Jeffrey Epstein, claiming she was sexually trafficked to Prince Andrew when she was a teenager.
In 2022, Andrew settled a civil lawsuit filed by Giuffre in the United States. The settlement did not include an admission of liability.
Giuffre died by suicide in April 2025 at the age of 41.
In a statement released to The Guardian on Thursday morning (February 19), the family thanked British authorities for their investigation.
“Finally today, our broken hearts were lifted by the news that no one is above the law – not even the Royal Family.
On behalf of our sister, we thank the British Thames Valley Police for the investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did it for you.”
Arrest for alleged misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the younger brother of King Charles III, was arrested on Thursday (February 19) on suspicion of misconduct in a public office over allegations that he sent confidential government documents to Epstein.
The 66-year-old was arrested and questioned by detectives from Thames Valley Police, who said earlier this month they were looking into claims he passed documents to a late convicted sex offender while working as a sales agent.
Deputy Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now launched an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in a public office.
We understand the significant public interest in this case and will provide updates in due course.”
Police have confirmed that Andrew is in custody. His office did not respond to requests for comment.
He has always denied wrongdoing in his relationship with Epstein and has previously said he regrets their friendship.
King Charles: “The law must take its course”
King Charles said he was “deeply concerned” to learn of the arrests and pledged to cooperate with authorities.
“It was with the deepest concern that I heard the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and the suspicions of misconduct in public office,” the king said.
“Let me be clear: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further on this matter. In the meantime, my family and I will continue our duty and service to all of you.”
The arrest is the most serious scandal in the royal government and makes Andrew the first senior royal to be arrested in this way.
Epstein’s files and the new complaint
The latest development follows the release of millions of pages of US government documents relating to Epstein, who was convicted of prostitution of a minor in 2008.
Reports suggested that Andrew gave Epstein official reports about the 2010 trip, including documents related to Vietnam and Singapore.
Andrew was reported to the police by the anti-monarchist campaign group Republic after the document was published. Thames Valley Police and the Crown Prosecution Service previously said discussions were ongoing and described the case as involving “particular complexities” due to the nature of the common law offence.
Andrew stepped down from royal duties in 2019 due to his ties to Epstein and was later stripped of his titles and honours.
Read also | Epstein’s writings: Billionaire Leslie Wexner rejects ‘co-conspirator’ label