
As tensions between the United States and Iran simmer and Trump sends a massive military into the Middle East, some satellite images have revealed that Tehran recently strengthened a sensitive military site by building a concrete shield over the new facility and covering it with soil.
Satellite images also show that Iran has also buried tunnel entrances at a nuclear site that was bombed by the United States during a brief war last year. It also fortified entrances to tunnels near another nuclear site and repaired missile bases.
The recent activity comes at a time when the United States’ military build-up in the region is gaining momentum. Donald Trump gave Iran a 10-day warning to make the deal, “or bad things will happen,” he said.
Referring to US airstrikes carried out in June 2025, Trump said Iran’s nuclear potential had been “decimated”, adding “we may or may not have to take a step further”. Without elaborating further, Donald Trump said: “You will find out in probably the next 10 days.
Several media reports have mentioned that the US is ready to attack Iran as early as this weekend. The final calls are on Donald Trump. As fears of a wider war escalate, Russia and Iran have also conducted naval exercises in the Sea of Oman to deter any “unilateral action” in the region.
AFP previously reported that the United States had deployed up to 13 warships to the Middle East – one aircraft carrier – the USS Abraham Lincoln – and another on the way, nine destroyers and three littoral combat ships.
Here are some satellite images offering insight into Iran’s activities:
The Parchin complex is one of Iran’s most sensitive military sites. While Western intelligence sources said Tehran had conducted tests there, Iran has always denied it was seeking nuclear weapons.
Israel reportedly struck Parchin in October 2024.
The latest satellite images show that repairs are underway at the Parchin military complex.
The Parchin complex is one of Iran’s most sensitive military sites(via REUTERS)
The Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS), in an analysis of satellite imagery dated January 22, noted progress in the construction of a “concrete sarcophagus” around the newly constructed facility at a site it identified as Taleghan 2.
ISIS announced in November that images showed “construction in progress and the presence of what appears to resemble a long cylindrical chamber, possibly a high-explosive containment vessel, possibly measuring approximately 36 meters in length and 12 meters in diameter located inside the building.”
Read also | Iran Plans Missile Launches, Issues NOTAM Amid US Tensions
“High explosive containment vessels are essential to the development of nuclear weapons,” ISIS added, “but they can also be used in many other conventional weapons development processes.
Composite of satellite images showing tunnel entrances at the Isfahan Nuclear Complex in Isfahan, Iran(via REUTERS)
In June, the United States bombed the Isfahan nuclear complex suspected of storing enriched uranium. Satellite images taken in late January showed new efforts to bury two tunnel entrances at the complex. By February 9, another entrance was filled with earth.
Some development was also noted at the Shiraz South missile base, and a new roof was put on a damaged building at the Qom missile base.
Why backfill entrances?
On February 9, ISIS announced that “burying the entrances to the tunnel would help dampen any potential airstrike and also make ground access difficult for a special forces raid to seize or destroy any highly enriched uranium that may be located inside.”
(With inputs from Reuters)