
The US Embassy in India announced on Saturday, January 31, a temporary restriction on its social media activity. In a post on X, the US Embassy said activity on its social media account had been restricted due to the ongoing partial government shutdown in the United States.
It said the account would not be updated regularly until full operations were restored. In a post on X, the embassy said basic communications, including updates on safety and security, will continue to be shared.
“Due to the forfeiture of funds, this X account will not be regularly updated until full operation is restored, except for urgent safety and security information,” the US Embassy post said.
Not only the U.S. Embassy, but the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, issued a similar statement as the country faced a partial government shutdown.
The US government went into a partial shutdown on Saturday just hours after the US Senate met to pass a revised package of funding bills. But the Chamber of Deputies has to approve the changes on Monday, February 2 at the earliest.
The US Senate voted on Friday, January 30, to separate expanded funding for the US Department of Homeland Security. The development came after she reached an agreement with the White House to delay it for several days to negotiate Democrats’ demands for curbs on Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), including requiring agents to wear body cameras and not have masks, ABC News reported. reported. Only five Republicans voted against it.
The vote was 71-29. Also read | Partial US Government Shutdown: What Happens Next, Will It Affect SNAP, Other Funding?
The bill will then be introduced in the House, where Speaker Mile Johnson will bring the package to the floor. Only when the bill reaches a majority will it be brought before US President Donald Trump.
The path to a Senate vote was cleared earlier Friday when Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham raised his vote after securing a commitment from Senate Majority Leader John Thune to hold a vote on the sanctuary cities ban in the coming weeks, according to ABC News.
Meanwhile, Mike Johnson exuded confidence that he has the votes to end the partial shutdown. In an interview with NBC, Mike Johnson said, “I’m confident we’ll get it done at least by Tuesday. We have a logistical challenge to get everyone into town.”
It’s the second time Congress has failed to fund the government since Trump returned to office last year.
Earlier, the federal government went into a 43-day shutdown during the fall. It was the longest shutdown, halting food aid for millions of households and putting hundreds out of work.





