The Great Nicobar Project a recipe for environmental disaster: Jairam Ramesh

Congress General Secretary Jairam Ramesh. File | Photo credit: The Hindu

Congress General Secretary Jairam Ramesh on Sunday (May 17, 2026) wrote to Defense Minister Rajnath Singh objecting to the Great Nicobar Island development project, terming it an “ecological disaster” in its current form.

Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi had earlier objected to the project on the same grounds.

The central government cites strategic interests as the reason for going ahead with the project, for which Mr. Ramesh suggested alternative means in his letter to Mr. Singh. Such measures have been suggested by naval officers in their papers and could help improve the country’s defense without much damage to the area’s ecology, Mr. Ramesh said.

“Let me say straight away that there can be no two views on the need to strengthen our nation’s defence. There can be no two views on the need to credibly project India’s strategic capabilities,” he said.

“Nevertheless, I submit the following for your consideration. Firstly, INS Baaz located at Campbell Bay, Great Nicobar Island was commissioned in July 2012. But plans to at least triple the length of the existing runway and create a sea jetty have been awaiting approval for almost five years. These plans also have much less adverse environmental impact,” Mr Ramesh wrote.

Secondly, the Andaman and Nicobar Command assets created many years ago could be expanded at a much lower cost to the environment, including INS Kardip, INS Kohassa, INS Utkrosh, INS Jarawa and Car Nicobar Air Force Station, he said.

“Third, the transshipment hub and township that are an essential part of the Great Nicobar Island Project do nothing to improve our country’s military capability. But this has now suddenly emerged as the main justification for them,” he wrote, adding that the project’s current form and plan is a “recipe for environmental disaster”.

Published – 17 May 2026 16:38 IST