
The Good Governance Forum has urged the Telangana government to expedite action in the long-pending 2010 liquor scam cases, alleging long delays and confusion over the proceedings against several officials.
Speaking on behalf of Chief Minister A. Revanth Reddy, Forum President M. Padmanabha Reddy said that though a Special Investigation Team (SIT) was initially formed in undivided Andhra Pradesh to probe the scam, it was abruptly terminated and the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) was later entrusted with the investigation.
According to earlier filings with the Supreme Court, 48 cases involving 1,118 officials and 174 private individuals were registered, with prosecution orders reportedly issued against 929 officials in 2012. However, the forum claimed little visible progress had been made after the bifurcation of the state.
Citing information obtained through an RTI reply on February 5, the forum claimed that while permission to prosecute was granted in 316 cases involving the Prohibition and Excise Department, 211 were referred to tribunals for disciplinary proceedings, 75 were sent to the Commissioner of Inquiry and 20 were sent for departmental inquiry and none reached final disposal. It also sought clarification on the action taken against 132 police officials who were allegedly prosecuted.
“Over the past 16 years, some tainted officials have been promoted and some have retired. In the case of the Home Ministry, 132 police officials have been ordered prosecuted. The delay in cracking down on liquor fraud cases sends a bad signal to corrupt officials, especially in the Prohibition and Excise Department and the Police Department,” the letter said.
Published – 17 Feb 2026 20:54 IST