The eviction attempt is creating high tension in the Dalit settlement in Kunnathunad

Local residents confront police during an eviction attempt at Malayidomthuruth near Kizhakkambalam in Ernakulam on Wednesday. | Photo credit: Special arrangement

Tension reigned in Malayidomthuruth near Kizhakkambalam in Ernakulam on Wednesday (May 20, 2026) after an attempt to evict seven Scheduled Caste families on the order of the Supreme Court sparked protests and clashes with the police. The eviction proceedings were later suspended on the instructions of the new Deputy Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala.

The eviction in Pareeyathukavu Unnathi, a Dalit settlement, was the 15th such attempt by the Bar Commission headed by senior lawyer Jayapalan MK. The move follows a Supreme Court verdict four years ago in favor of a private individual in a 2.65-acre land dispute allegedly falling within 19.30 acres of Puramboke land.

The court ordered the eviction of the residents before the land was measured and demarcated. However, residents claimed that portions of government-owned land were included in the disputed area and demanded a fresh survey.

Tensions escalated when officials, backed by nearly 200 police officers, arrived to enforce the order. Residents, including women, the elderly and children, blocked roads in protest. One protester doused himself in kerosene and threatened to set himself on fire at the protest site, prompting police to use water cannons. The police took the woman, who collapsed during the confrontation, to the hospital.

CPI(M) leader and former Kunnathunad MLA PV Sreenijin, who reached the spot, alleged that the evictions were being carried out without addressing the rehabilitation of the families and questioned the police action under the newly formed United Democratic Front (UDF) government. He also faced criticism from some residents over the alleged inaction of the previous Left Democratic Front (LDF) government.

The police later withdrew after Mr. Chennithala ordered the state police chief to stop the evictions and avoid violence.

Mr. Jayapalan was escorted out of the area. In his defense of the suit, he said they were merely carrying out a court order and denied allegations of association with the private person who secured the eviction order. He said he would report the incidents that occurred during the eviction to the court.

CPI(M) state secretary MV Govindan condemned the eviction move, saying that though the police had tried to do it 14 times during the LDF government, no force had been used. “But within 48 hours of the new UDF government assuming power, the police resorted to violence against the residents,” he said, adding that the party would resist attacks against Scheduled Caste people.

CPI(M) district secretary S. Sathish said his party would resist the eviction and protect the residents. “The VD Satheesan-led UDF government is trying to work for the rich by attacking the poor,” he said in a statement.

Published – 20 May 2026 23:33 IST