Swap open safari jeeps for safer buses: Khandre

The forest minister has directed officials to ensure that no tourists are allowed to alight from the safari vehicles and enter the forest areas. | Photo credit: File photo

Open safari vehicles have been banned in the Karnataka Tiger Reserve and Wildlife Sanctuary.

Environment Minister Eshwar B. Khandre on Wednesday (May 20) directed the Chief Conservation Officer to instead deploy buses that are equipped with iron mesh and shatterproof glass and modify the existing vehicles.

The guidelines come in the wake of a fatal incident at the Dubare elephant camp that claimed the life of a female tourist.

In eight places

In the state, safaris are held in Bandipur National Park, Nagarhole National Park, Kali Tiger Reserve, Biligiri Ranganathaswamy Hills (BR Hills), Bhadra Tiger Reserve, Male Mahadeshwara Hills (MM Hills), Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary and K. Gudi.

The minister said that these tiger reserves and wildlife sanctuaries are visited by tourists and wildlife enthusiasts from all over India and abroad. These measures are put in place to ensure their safety.

“Fortunately, there have been no incidents so far of wild animals like elephants and tigers attacking safari vehicles and causing loss of life in safari areas. However, it is important to take precautionary measures to avert mishaps,” the minister said.

No descent

Mr. Khandre also instructed the officials to ensure that no tourists are allowed to get out of the safari vehicles and enter the forest areas.

He also said that ambulances should be stationed near safari centers and elephant camps, besides ensuring that every safari vehicle is equipped with first aid kits.

Published – 20 May 2026 19:55 IST