
Chilling new video from Monday’s shooting in Rhode Island that left three people dead, including the suspect, shows players and spectators running for cover in panic as multiple gunshots are heard.
The incident took place at an ice rink in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
Three victims were hospitalized in critical condition, according to authorities.
Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves said a bystander helped quickly stop the afternoon’s violent incident by intervening and trying to subdue the gunman, who was at the arena watching a family member’s hockey game.
‘Targeted Event’
The gunman died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, she said, adding that the investigation is ongoing.
“It appears that this was a targeted event, that it may be a family dispute,” she said, according to the AP.
She said investigators are working to reconstruct the events and have interviewed a number of witnesses who were inside the Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, just outside of Providence. Authorities are also reviewing video of the hockey game. Unverified clips circulating on social media show players scrambling for cover and spectators fleeing as a crack is heard.
Grieving families and high school hockey players still in uniform were seen hugging each other before boarding buses to leave the scene outside the arena, the report said.
Read also | Rhode Island shooting: Suspect’s daughter admits her father was the shooter
The suspect and two victims from the same family
Meanwhile, Goncalves identified the suspect as Roberto Dorgan, who also went by Roberto Esposito and was born in 1969, according to the AP. Authorities revealed he was going by a female name.
The daughter of the Rhode Island shooting suspect has confirmed that her father was the shooter, noting that he was ill and faced mental health issues.
According to local station WPRI, Dorgan is the father of a senior at North Providence High School who was participating in the hockey tournament. Several sources said the student’s mother and sibling were among those killed, adding that the mother died at Lynch Arena while the sibling died at the hospital.
Monday’s shooting comes nearly two months after another violent attack in Rhode Island at Brown University, where a gunman killed two students and wounded nine others. The gunman also fatally shot a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Authorities later found the alleged shooter, 48-year-old Claudio Neves Valente, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a warehouse in New Hampshire.
Read also | Rhode Island shooting at youth hockey game leaves three dead, video emerges
Pawtucket Mayor Don Grebien said, “The fortunate thing is that the two incidents are not related, but it’s very tragic. These are high school kids. They were doing an event, playing with their families and watching, it was fun, and then this happened.”
Located north of Providence and bordering Massachusetts, Pawtucket is a city of nearly 80,000 residents. Until recently, it was mainly known as the headquarters of Hasbro.
In 2025, the Gun Violence Archive documented more than 400 mass shootings, incidents where four or more people were shot or killed, not including the shooter. In total, gun violence claimed at least 14,703 lives last year, not including suicides.