Skip to content

Rajasthan Royals is seeking exemption from the state government to host the IPL in Jaipur following security concerns

February 17, 2026

In a race against time to get the stadium match ready for the IPL, Rajasthan Royals have asked the state government to absolve them of hosting matches in Jaipur following concerns raised by an independent audit firm and the BCCI about the venue’s readiness.

While Bengaluru-based Chinnaswamy has received approval from the government to host RCB’s matches for the upcoming season, it is still unclear where Rajasthan Royals will be playing.

Due to lack of clarity regarding the Sawai Mansingh Stadium (SMS), the BCCI has not been able to share the final IPL schedule with the franchises.

Sources told PTI that the Rajasthan State Sports Council (RSSC) dismissed most of the safety concerns raised by Tata Projects in its 700-page audit and despite the BCCI rating, the stadium ranks lowest in terms of fan experience.

After the deadly stampede at Chinnaswamy last year, it is understandable that another franchise will not risk the safety of fans at their home venue.

Therefore, she asked the RSSC for compensation. The fact that the state association is governed by an ad-hoc body does not help matters.

The IPL franchise through Tata Projects had earlier submitted a 700-page audit report on the SMS stadium which highlighted massive ‘fan safety concerns’, making the venue unsafe for hosting IPL matches.

In response to a two-month audit by the firm, the RSSC commissioned a committee including its PWD department to conduct a ten-day assessment to come out with an assessment that Rajasthan Royals’ concerns were unfounded, barring minor repairs, and that the stadium was fully ready to host the IPL.

BCCI too has time and again raised concerns about the venue, rating the venue as having the lowest fan experience.

“Unfortunately, SMS Stadium lags far behind other IPL venues in terms of modern facilities and overall fan experience,” says a BCCI source, adding, “Safety and security protocols, fan experience and overall comfort of people, families coming to watch matches at SMS Stadium are paramount to the IPL and are non-negotiable.”

A BCCI source also pointed out that the RSSC was warned last year that the board does not support direct tie-ups with the state government or local authorities, except with its member association, and that the RSSC has been given special permission during the 2024 and 2025 IPLs in the absence of a functional RCA.

“It was a one-time exemption in exceptional circumstances and it was communicated very clearly. It cannot be set as a precedent and it cannot continue,” the source added.

As part of the audit, tests were carried out in accordance with national regulatory regulations established and updated by the central government, such as the National Building Code, the National Electrical Code, the Fire Code and the Sports Field Safety Code.

The reports reveal serious deficiencies in life safety, structural integrity and legal compliance and highlight that SMS Stadium does not meet minimum safety standards in all parameters.

– The end

Issued by:

Saurabh Kumar

Published on:

February 17, 2026

Index
    Settings