
Russia’s nuclear forces conducted a readiness test on Wednesday, overseen by President Vladimir Putin. The maneuvers included launches from land, sea and air to assess the operational readiness of the country’s nuclear arsenal.
“Today we are conducting a planned — I want to emphasize, planned — exercise of command and control of nuclear forces,” Putin said during a video conference with the Kremlin’s top military leadership, CNN reported.
Missiles and bombers in action
Videos shared by state military TV channel Zvezda showed a Yars intercontinental ballistic missile launched from the Plesetsk cosmodrome in northern Russia and a Sineva ballistic missile launched from the Bryansk nuclear-powered submarine in the Barents Sea, the news outlet said, adding that long-range bombers were also deployed from the air Tu-95MS with reference to cruise missiles. Russian Ministry of Defense.
The exercise tested the readiness of the military’s command and control systems and operational skills, with all objectives reportedly met. General Valery Gerasimov, chief of the army’s general staff, said the exercises were designed to “practice the procedures for authorizing the use of nuclear weapons.”
Interrupted Putin-Trump meeting
The test of nuclear readiness came hours after US President Donald Trump said his planned meeting with Putin in Budapest was being postponed, citing concerns it would be a “waste of time”. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov stressed that any summit “must be thoroughly prepared.”
“Nobody wants to waste time: neither President Trump nor President Putin,” Peskov said. “These are two presidents who are used to working efficiently with high productivity. But efficiency always requires preparation.”
The New START Treaty and Nuclear Concerns
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov emphasized the importance of the New START treaty, which limits the number of deployed nuclear weapons. “If the US rejects the New START proposal, there will be a complete vacuum in the area of nuclear arms limitation and a growing nuclear threat,” Ryabkov said. He added that “Russia must be convinced of the sustainability of the US administration in abandoning its hostile course”.
Putin has expressed willingness to extend the treaty by one year, if Trump agrees, before it expires on February 5, 2026. The treaty, signed in 2010 by former US President Barack Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, limits both sides to 1,550 deployed warheads and 800 launchers and bombers.
NATO exercises and rising nuclear tensions
The Russian drills follow on from NATO’s nuclear exercises earlier this month, which saw over 70 aircraft from 14 allied nations, including F-35 fighter jets and B-52 bombers, take part in the Steadfast Noon exercise in Belgium and the Netherlands.
“We need to do this because it helps us ensure that our nuclear deterrent remains as credible, as safe, as secure and as effective as possible,” said NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte.





