Proper ISL next season assured: Another promise from AIFF chief Kalyan Chaubey
All India Football Federation (AIFF) president Kalyan Chaubey has assured that the Indian Super League will return in a proper full-fledged format next season after the chaotic and heavily truncated 2025-26 campaign finally ended with East Bengal’s dramatic title.
After talking to journalists East Bengal ended their 22-year wait for the National League crown by beating Inter Kashi 2-1 on Thursday, Chaubey insisted Indian football is moving forward despite the controversies and uncertainty surrounding the season.
“Of course we will see a full-fledged ISL next season,” Chaubey said after the final.
“I never said that football will stop in India. We have organized 21 tournaments and almost 2,100 matches this season. Never before in the history of Indian football have so many matches been played in one season.”
“Yes, there have been crises and some controversies too. Sometimes controversies are even created because they keep people interested. But I firmly believe that Indian football is moving forward and will continue in this way,” he added.
Chaubey also called East Bengal’s return to the top of Indian football and emphasized the importance of the rivalry between the Colocat giants.
“Whenever there is competition, it is always healthy for football. The Kolkata derby between Mohun Bagan and East Bengal is one of the biggest rivalries in world football.”
“East Bengal have been lagging behind for the past few years but the way they have come back this season will benefit Bengal football immensely. As long as the Mohun Bagan-East Bengal rivalry lives, so will Bengal football and Indian football,” he said.
THE CHAOTIC ISL SEASON IS FINALLY OVER
The 2025-26 ISL season has been marked by uncertainty almost from the start after the expiry of the main rights agreement between the AIFF and the FSDL triggered a major governmental and financial impasse.
The league, which usually starts in September or October, did not start until February 2026 after almost seven months of uncertainty.
Due to the delay, the season had to be significantly shortened and the clubs only played 13 games instead of the usual 24 game format.
Several clubs reportedly temporarily halted operations during the uncertainty, while concerns over wages, contracts and the future structure of the league continued throughout the season.
The administrative mess also led to criticism from several figures in Indian football.
Former Indian captain Bhaichung Bhutia publicly accused Chaubey’s administration of damaging Indian football governance, while former AIFF legal counsel Nilanjan Bhattacharjee alleged irregularities in selection processes and administrative functioning.
Despite the chaos, the ISL season produced one of the tightest title races in recent memory.
Five teams remained mathematically alive heading into the final day, with East Bengal eventually edging out Mohun Bagan on goal difference after the two Kolkata clubs finished level on 26 points.
THE FUTURE OF ISL STILL REMAINS UNCERTAIN
Even after the end of the season, there is still uncertainty about the long-term structure of the ISL.
A number of clubs are understood to be pursuing a club-led operational and commercial model, while negotiations over broadcast and commercial rights are still ongoing.
The instability has already begun to affect planning for next season, with several clubs delaying player renewals and contract negotiations.
Even East Bengal head coach Oscar Bruzon had earlier admitted that he might not continue with the club if there is no clarity on the future of the ISL soon.
However, Chaubey insisted that the successful completion of the season itself was a great achievement given the circumstances surrounding Indian football.
“Anyone who follows Indian football knows that the sport has come to a standstill for seven months after the 15-year agreement between the AIFF and the FSDL expired.
“At one stage it even looked like the league was not going to happen. So as an organizer, I feel satisfied that the AIFF managed to pull everyone together and manage the tournament successfully,” he said.
For now, Indian football is moving into another uncertain off-season. But after a year dominated by legal battles, administrative chaos and existential concerns surrounding the ISL itself, the AIFF will now be hoping that East Bengal’s emotional title triumph can act as the start of a more stable future, rather than a brief distraction from deeper problems. AIFF president Kalyan Chaubey has assured that the Indian Super League will return in its proper full-fledged format next season after the chaotic and heavily truncated 2025-26 campaign finally ended with East Bengal’s dramatic title.
Speaking to reporters after East Bengal ended their 22-year wait for the National League crown with a 2-1 defeat of Inter Kashi on Thursday, Chaubey insisted Indian football was moving forward despite the controversies and uncertainty surrounding the season.
“Of course we will see a full-fledged ISL next season,” Chaubey said after the final.
“I never said that football will stop in India. We have organized 21 tournaments and almost 2,100 matches this season. Never before in the history of Indian football have so many matches been played in one season.”
“Yes, there have been crises and some controversies too. Sometimes controversies are even created because they keep people interested. But I firmly believe that Indian football is moving forward and will continue in this way,” he added.
Chaubey also hailed East Bengal’s return to the top of Indian football and highlighted the importance of the rivalry between the Kolkata giants.
“Whenever there is competition, it is always healthy for football. The Kolkata derby between Mohun Bagan and East Bengal is one of the biggest rivalries in world football.”
“East Bengal have been lagging behind for the past few years but the way they have come back this season will benefit Bengal football immensely. As long as the Mohun Bagan-East Bengal rivalry lives, so will Bengal football and Indian football,” he said.
For now, Indian football is moving into another uncertain off-season. But after a year dominated by legal battles, administrative chaos and existential concerns surrounding the ISL itself, the AIFF will now be hoping that East Bengal’s emotional title triumph can act as the start of a more stable future, rather than a brief distraction from deeper problems.
– The end
Issued by:
Debodinna Chakraborty
Published on:
22 May 2026 19:03 IST
‘, e.appendChild