
Since April, the Pakistani authorities have reportedly written letters to Indian counterparts several times to re -evaluate the decision to suspend Indus waters, the sources said on Friday.
India announced its decision to suspend an Indus Waters contract (IWT) of 1960 with Pakistan 23 April – the day after at least 26 people were killed in the terrorist attack of Pahalgam.
The Ministry of External Affairs then stated that the Indus Waters contract will be held in the “non -scope” until Pakistan will terminate his support for cross -border terrorism.
More than a month later, The Hindustan Times announced that the Minister of Water Resources of Pakistan Syed Ali Murtaz has sent four letters since then the Indian Ministry of Jal Shakti and urged the decision to suspend the contract.
It was not immediately clear when the letters were sent, but a person who was aware of the matter, said three letters were written after the Sindoor operation, the report added.
Hindustan Times’s sources said that the Pakistani party continues to claim that the contract cannot unilaterally suspend India and that the suspension violates the provisions of Pact.
The letters were considered to be a reaction to a formal announcement of April 24, from the Indian Minister of Water Resources Debashree Mukherjee to her Pakistani counterpart to decide on the conclusion of a contract in carrying.
Mukherjee reportedly wrote: “The obligation to honor the contract in good faith is essential for the contract. However, what we have seen instead is cross -border terrorism in Pakistan focused on the territory of Jammu and Kashmir.”
India had no answer to Pakistani letters yet. However, sources claimed that India “remains firm in his decision”.
Randhir Jaiswal, a spokesman for the external affairs, repeated April that the country would not engage in interviews with Pakistan until the neighbor “credibly and irrevocably contained cross -border terrorism”.
According to a report, the Indian party ceased to share all data on the flows of western rivers – Indus, Jhelum and Chenab – which were assigned to Pakistan under the 1960 contract.
Pakistani leaders stated that any reduction in watercourses allowed under the Indus Waters contract will be considered a “war act”.
Indus Waters has survived four wars between India and Pakistan since its signature in 1960, which made him the first time the pact was suspended.
(Tagstotranslate) Indus Waters Treaty





