Neymar slams ‘nonsense’ criticism: I worked hard at the World Cup

Brazil star Neymar has dismissed criticism surrounding his fitness ahead of the World Cup, saying he has endured years of “nonsense” talk as he works through serious injuries.

Brazil’s all-time top goalscorer has not played for the national team since 2023 after injury and knee surgery sidelined him for almost a year. With coach Carlo Ancelotti making it clear that only fully fit players will make the squad, Neymar said he has done everything to return in top form.

“Physically I feel great. I’ve been improving with every game,” Neymar told reporters after Santos’ 3-0 loss to Coritiba on Sunday.

“I did the best I could – it wasn’t easy. I’ll admit it wasn’t easy.”

“It’s been years of hard work and a lot of rubbish being said about my condition and what I’ve been doing. It’s really sad how people talk about it.”

The 34-year-old said he was focused on his recovery despite the criticism that surrounded him while he was out.

“I worked hard, quietly, at home, suffered because of what people said, and everything worked.

“I got to where I wanted to be in one piece. I’m happy with my performance, with everything I’ve done so far.”

Neymar added that he trusts Ancelotti will pick the right Brazil team at the World Cup.

“Whatever happens, Ancelotti will definitely call the best 26 players for this battle,” he said.

Neymar was also involved in a heated moment during Santos’ defeat after he was mistakenly substituted, leading to an angry exchange on the touchline. The incident happened just a day before Ancelotti was due to announce Brazil’s World Cup squad.

Brazil are chasing a record sixth World Cup title and have been drawn alongside Morocco, Haiti and Scotland in Group C at the North American tournament.

– The end

Issued by:

Saurabh Kumar

Published on:

18 May 2026 12:48 IST