
Nancy Guthrie demands a ransom: NBC News Today shows the kidnapping of co-founder Savannah Guthrie’s 84-year-old mother, which has been in the spotlight for a week. And concerns are growing among the family after the deadline for a $6 million bitcoin ransom request expired on February 9.
Savannah released a new video on Monday (Feb. 9) during her “hour of desperation,” asking the public for help with her mother’s heart condition (she has a pacemaker) and her request for regular high blood pressure medication. Nancy is believed to have been abducted from her home in Tucson, Arizona (USA) either late on January 31 or early on February 1, prompting a nationwide manhunt.
Bitcoin demanded by Nancy Guthrie: How would the family pay?
According to a Fortune report, the hijackers demanded $6 million in bitcoins as ransom by 5:00 PM on February 9 (Monday). It was originally reported by local Arizona TV station KGUN9, which said it had received a ransom.
The initial demand was $4 million in bitcoins before it was raised to $6 million according to other reports. Law enforcement officials (FBI and Pima County Sheriff’s Department) have not yet confirmed the legitimacy of any of the ransoms sent to media organizations.
The Fortune report cited blockchain analytics company Chainalysis as saying that in order to make the payment, the Guthrie family would have to open an account with a crypto exchange or send money through an intermediary to a wallet designated by the kidnappers.
There is a chance that once a deposit is made and accessed by the wallet owner, law enforcement can use blockchain forensics to trace the associated address, seize the funds or intercept the transaction, the report added. However, they would have to act fast.
As of this writing, there was no word on whether the ransom payment had been made. According to a New York Post report, the bitcoin account given to the kidnapper had zero balance and zero transactions.
- Feb. 3 – Savannah Guthrie renewed her appeal for prayers Tuesday as efforts to find her mother continued while authorities urged the public to keep coming forward with information.
- February 4 – Four days after Nancy Guthrie disappeared, Savannah Guthrie and her siblings Camron and Annie Guthrie released a video statement responding to the ransom.
- Feb. 5 — Local officials shared a detailed timeline of the case and confirmed that forensic tests showed blood found on the front door of Nancy Guthrie’s Tucson home was hers.
- Feb. 6 – The FBI widens its search after a second ransom note is sent to media houses and places digital billboards across the Southwest, including California, Arizona and New Mexico. She also restarted her investigation by re-examining Guthrie’s home and investigating new leads.
- February 7 – Savannah Guthrie and her siblings, Annie and Camron, release another video message demanding a ransom. “We have received your message and we understand you. We are asking you to return our mother to us now so we can celebrate with her. Only then will we have peace. This is very valuable to us and we will pay.”
- Feb. 8 — Investigators return to Nancy Guthrie’s home eight days after she was last seen as the search enters its next phase. Authorities said they believe the victim is still alive.
- February 9 – The FBI offers a reward of up to $50,000 for information leading to the whereabouts of Nancy Guthrie.
(With input from agencies)





