
It’s been more than 20 days since 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie, mother of NBC ‘Today’ co-anchor Savannah Guthrie, was last seen. However, the investigation appears to be moving slowly, with authorities finding little success in tracking her down so far.
Guthrie was last seen on January 31 at her residence in Arizona, after which she was reported missing. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has released images of the suspect after obtaining footage from a doorbell camera. In the images released by FBI Director Kash Patel, the suspect, a man of average build, is seen wearing a mask and is armed. Meanwhile, Guthrie’s daughter Savannah and her siblings shared videos online, urging the kidnappers to “do the right thing” and return their mother.
However, reports now indicate a dispute between Pima County Sheriff’s Department officials and the FBI over the case.
Here are the main updates in the case of Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance:
1. According to a report in the Daily Mail, County Sheriff Chris Nanos “locked down” the investigation as tensions between his team and the FBI escalated to a boiling point. “Nanos is pompous and wants attention instead of focusing on Nancy and letting the FBI do their job,” the Mail quoted a source as saying.
Read also | Nancy Guthrie Update today: No DNA on glove, fourth ransom reached
2. The report further revealed that Nanos now insists on deciding matters related to the case with the help of his two highest-ranking inner circle officials. As of Friday (local time), Chris Nanos is leading the probe along with Chief Jesus Lopez and Captain Juan Carlos Navarro.
Read also | Trump threatens the kidnappers with the death penalty if Nancy Guthrie is not found alive
3. Citing sources, the report states that everyone else is told what to do and that no one else has anything to say or an opinion. According to reports, some officials described the decision-making structure as highly unusual, especially considering the number of agencies, including the FBI, involved in the case. Sources said that while detectives remain actively working on leads, the final decisions are concentrated among three senior officials.
4. Nanos also drew criticism over aspects of the investigation, including his decision to send DNA evidence to a private lab in Florida instead of using the FBI’s facility in Quantico, Virginia.
5. The glove, which was discovered two miles from her home and was touted as the first breakthrough, was sent for a DNA sample. But on Tuesday (local time), authorities acknowledged that DNA found at Nancy Guthrie’s home and the CODIS criminal database failed to match.
6. According to a report in ABC News, investigators have not ruled out the possibility that several people were involved in her abduction.
7. Meanwhile, a reward for information related to the case has climbed to more than $200,000 after an anonymous tip, the Pima County Sheriff’s Department said.
Read also | Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping Case: At Least 3 Arrests, Police Activity Surge
8. Reports also indicate that investigators may soon begin straining their resources due to the lack of recent progress in the investigation into Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance.
9. According to a Fox News report, the Mexican Embassy in the US said on Friday (local time) that there was “no indication” that Guthrie had been taken to Mexico.
10. The report also suggests that forensic experts are now encouraging witnesses to come forward with more tips in the case, adding that investigators will make sure they are “correctly led”.