Skip to content

King Charles expresses ‘deepest concern’ as former Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested over Epstein Files | Today’s news

February 19, 2026

King Charles has issued a formal statement regarding the arrest of his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. A former working member of the British royal family was previously arrested in connection with the Epseith Files. According to the BBC, King Charles was not informed in advance of Andrew’s arrest. Interestingly, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on his birthday. Today, February 19, he turns 66.

According to the publication, Andrew was not arrested for any matter directly related to Virginia Giuffre. His arrest is said to be related to information in Epstein’s files related to his time as a trade envoy. The exact details of the arrest remain unclear.

According to police commentator Danny Shaw, the police may detain Andrew for a longer period of time. In most cases, however, suspects are detained for up to 24 hours. They are then either charged or released.

“There will be no special treatment for him,” he said.

Andrew can be held in custody for up to 96 hours. This can be done through expansion, he told the BBC. The former prince will be kept “entirely in a custody suite” with only “a bed and a toilet,” the publication added.

Investigators may look into possible sharing of documents or communications between Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein, the BBC reports. Thames Valley Police have joined this wider investigation. Officials are not limited to publicly available emails, as the files contain millions of documents.

Buckingham Palace has indicated it will support the investigation. Police may request access to other records or communications held by the palace, according to the publication.

Uniformed officers are now searching the Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park, which was until recently Andrew’s residence, according to the BBC. Thames Valley Police also carried out searches in Norfolk and Berkshire.

King Charles’ statement

“It was with the deepest concern that I learned of the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and the allegations of misconduct in public office. A full, fair and orderly process is now underway to investigate this matter in an appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the monarch said in an official statement.

“In this, as I said earlier, they have our full and unreserved support and cooperation. Let me be clear: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be appropriate for me to comment further on this matter. In the meantime, my family and I will continue our duty and service to you all,” the BBC quoted King Charles as saying.

Meanwhile, Queen Camilla continues with her scheduled appointments. Despite her brother-in-law’s arrest, she arrived at Westminster in central London to attend a midday orchestral concert.

David Lammy on Andrew’s arrest

Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy also left the law on Andrew’s arrest.

“As the justice minister – and as the prime minister said – no one in this country is above the law. And this is now a police investigation and it has to happen in the usual way,” he told the BBC’s technology editor Zoe Kleinman at the India AI Impact Summit in New Delhi.

Index
    Settings