Jose Mourinho breaks silence on Real Madrid rumours
Portuguese manager Jose Mourinho has broken his silence on rumors linking him with a sensational return to Real Madrid, admitting there has been contact between him and the club. However, in classic Mourinho fashion, he insisted that no formal offer has yet been made to him.
Speaking on Sunday 17 May, Mourinho confirmed that the debate over his future is expected to intensify this week as uncertainty continues to surround Madrid manager Alvaro Arbelo.
“My future should be decided this week,” Mourinho told reporters.
“I have a proposal from Benfica. I don’t have a proposal from Real Madrid. At the same time, I said that to hide that there is nothing, we can’t do that, something exists, but not directly with me.”
“I need time, I need space, I need time to make a decision and this week I think will be very important.”
Mourinho, 63, has emerged as one of the main candidates to take over at Real Madrid after guiding Benfica through an unbeaten Primeira Liga season. The experienced coach is currently under contract with Benfica until June 2027, although the Portuguese club are reportedly pushing for another extension to his contract.
WHY REAL MADRID NEED A NEW MANAGER?
The Madrid link has gained momentum amid growing turmoil at the Spanish giants this season. Real Madrid are currently struggling with an internal crisis after a disappointing campaign that has seen them fall behind in the La Liga title race and struggle in Europe.
Reports from Spain have also suggested that tensions within the dressing room have escalated in recent months, with numerous confrontations reportedly taking place between senior players. There have also been questions about the tactical direction of the team under Arbeloa, who took charge ahead of the current season.
Madrid’s inconsistent performances, along with dressing room turmoil and fan pressure, have fueled speculation that the club could be looking for an experienced figure capable of restoring authority within the squad. Naturally, Mourinho’s name came up again because of his history at the club and his reputation for handling high-pressure environments.
MOURINA’S LAST STRIKE AT REAL MADRID
Mourinho previously managed Real Madrid between 2010 and 2013, winning the La Liga title and the Copa del Rey during one of Spanish football’s most intense eras. His Madrid side famously collected 100 points during the 2011-12 league season, breaking the dominance of Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona.
Despite his often fiery relationship with the Spanish media during his first spell in charge, Mourinho remains a highly respected figure among sections of Real Madrid’s fan base.
Arbeloa himself spoke glowingly of Mourinho ahead of Madrid’s clash with Sevilla, admitting he would welcome the Portuguese manager back to the Santiago Bernabeu.
“For me, as one of his players, but above all as a Real Madrid fan, I feel he is number one and I think he is number one,” Arbeloa said.
“And I think that’s how I felt a month ago and I’ll continue to feel that Jose was, is and always will be one of us, and if he’s the one next season, I’ll be very happy to see him back home.”
Widely regarded as one of the most successful managers of the modern era, Mourinho has previously coached clubs such as Chelsea, Inter Milan, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.
He is also one of the few managers in football history to have won the UEFA Champions League with two different clubs and lifted the trophy with Porto and Inter Milan.
– The end
Issued by:
Kingshuk Kusari
Published on:
May 18, 2026 0:56 AM IST