Skip to content

Iran issues NOTAM amid US tensions: Pilots advised to avoid as Islamic Republic plans missile launches | Today’s news

February 19, 2026

Iran issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) on Thursday warning of potential missile activity in its airspace. It was issued at a time of escalating tensions with the US, which deployed warships near the Islamic Republic. US Vice President JD Vance reportedly said Washington was considering whether to continue diplomatic talks with Tehran or seek other options.

According to the alert, pilots are advised to avoid flying between ground level and flight level 100 in the affected area due to safety risks associated with possible launches, as shown by the Flightradar24 tracker.

The NOTAM said Iran planned missile launches in areas throughout the south from 330 to 1330 GMT on Thursday, Reuters reported, citing the US Federal Aviation Administration’s website.

Tensions between Iran and the US

Tensions between Iran and the US escalated after Washington sent an aircraft carrier strike group to the Middle East following Iran’s deadly response to anti-government protests that peaked last month.

On Monday, Feb. 16, Iran said the United States’ stance on Iran’s nuclear program “has shifted to a more realistic one,” AFP reported.

The two nations recently resumed indirect talks brokered by Oman after President Donald Trump repeatedly threatened military action against Iran last month over a deadly crackdown on protesters.

Negotiations between Iran and the US

After Tuesday’s second round of talks, Iran’s atomic energy chief, Mohammad Eslami, said no country could deprive the Islamic Republic of its right to nuclear enrichment.

“The basis of the nuclear industry is enrichment. Whatever you want to do in the nuclear process, you need nuclear fuel,” Eslami said, according to a video published by Etemad daily on Thursday.

“Iran’s nuclear program is proceeding according to the rules of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and no country can deprive Iran of the right to use this technology peacefully,” AFP said, referring to the video.

What did Trump say?

Donald Trump again suggested the United States could attack Iran in a post on his Truth Social website on Wednesday.

He warned Britain against giving up sovereignty over the Chagos islands in the Indian Ocean and said the Diego Garcia air base on the archipelago may be needed if Iran does not agree to the deal “to root out a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime”.

Index
    Settings