‘If 60 wickets aren’t enough, scrap Ranji’: Dilip Vengsarkar slams selectors over Auqib Nabi
Jammu and Kashmir fast bowler Auqib Nabi was the top run-scorer in the Ranji Trophy last season. (photo/IANS) MUMBAI: Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar has slammed the Ajit Agarkar-led selection panel for ignoring Jammu and Kashmir seamer Auqib Nabi despite his outstanding Ranji Trophy 2025-26 campaign in selecting India’s squad for the one-off Test against Afghanistan next month.Nabi finished as the leading wicket-taker in the Ranji Trophy with 60 wickets in 10 matches at a staggering average of 12.56 and was named Player of the Tournament after leading J&K to their first Ranji Trophy title.The 29-year-old swingman has produced match-winning performances throughout the season, including 5-54 in the first innings of the final against Karnataka in Hubballi, 9-123 in the semi-final against Bengal in Kalyani and 12-110 in the quarter-final against Madhya Pradesh in Indore. His tally included seven five-goal hauls and two four-goal hauls.“The selectors’ decision to ignore him is completely absurd and confusing. What kind of selection is this? It is simply unacceptable. It is an injustice,” a furious Vengsarkar told TOI on Thursday.“Can you imagine Nabi’s predicament now? He has taken 60 wickets in the Ranji Trophy. He has worked hard for it and deserves a place ahead of everyone else.”The former chief selector went a step further and questioned the value placed on domestic cricket if performances of this magnitude continue to be overlooked.“If domestic cricket performances are not the criteria, then BCCI should scrap domestic cricket,” thundered Vengsarkar. Nabi also claimed 44 wickets at 13:27 in the previous Ranji season but was consistently ignored, reportedly due to concerns over his pace. However, this reasoning does not convince Vengsarkar.“You pick a bowler for his wicket-taking ability. He can bowl at 130km/h but his wicket-taking ability is important. This lad has shown tremendous consistency in taking wickets,” he pointed out.With Jasprit Bumrah rested for the Afghanistan Test, Vengsarkar felt it was the perfect opportunity to blood Nabi at the international level.“It was the perfect time to groom him. When a player is fit, you give him an opportunity now and then. You don’t wait for him to lose confidence, fitness or hunger,” he said. Former India all-rounder Irfan Pathan also criticized the omission earlier this week, writing on X: “Don’t discourage Ranji Trophy appearances!”Former Mumbai captain Shishir Hattangadi echoed the sentiment. “Nabi’s exclusion is puzzling. If Ranji Trophy is the yardstick, then honor it by recognizing performances. You can’t ignore someone who has been so consistent in red-ball cricket,” Hattangadi said.In a press conference on Tuesday, chief selector Ajit Agarkar admitted that Nabi’s performances had been discussed.Instead, the selectors opted for Punjab and Gujarat Titans pacer Gurnoor Brar, who earned his maiden call-up in both Tests and ODIs.However, a source close to the development defended the selectors’ call: “Every season Ranji is the highest number of scorers and wickets. Should they simply replace selectors with statistical analysts?” the source said.“Gurnoor performed well for India A and also picked up 11 wickets in eight Vijay Hazare Trophy matches for Punjab against Mumbai.”