
The workers asked for help within the government system announced in response to the Russian-Kraine War, which influenced the diamond industry. | Photo Credit: File Photos
Gujarat received 89,948 applications for educational assistance from diamond workers, but according to data provided by the state legislator on Tuesday, only 170 children provided financial assistance.
In a written answer to the question of the MLA Tushar Amarsinh Chaudhary on a special assistance package announced in May for workers who lost their jobs in Surrat and Ahmedabad desperate diamond nodes, the state government said it received 70,254 applications from Surrat and another 3,926 from Ahmedabad. While applicants in Ahmedabad received a total of 24.03 ₹ Lakh, the Surrat workers are still waiting for a paycheck. The package provides 13,500 GBP per child per year to help cover school fees.
In his answer to the independent question raised by another MLA Congress, Jignesh Mevani, the government revealed that it received 13,462 applications from the Diamond District in the Botad district and another 2,306 from Amrel. However, none of these applicants has so far been compensated.
The assistance scheme, introduced as a result of the ongoing Russian-Ukraine War, includes diamond workers who lost their work after 31. Gujarat also announced independent relief for diamond units.
While the government claimed that the waiting applications were tested for eligibility, the vice president of Surrat Diamond Workers Union Bhavesh Tank said several workers are approaching their requests. “Not a single worker in Surrat received a single worker in Surrat, despite using a month ago,” Hindu said.
He added that officers demanded evidence of employment and other documents of workers. “In a state where GST is not paid correctly, how poor workers who have already lost their jobs can create employment records, especially when many units that worked turned off,” Mr. Tank asked.
Mr. Tank said that more workers risk losing jobs of 50% of the tariff deposited by the United States.
He called on the government to reopen the process of applying for fresh applicants.
Published – 10 September 2025 01:25





