
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at the Munich Security Conference on February 15, 2026. | Photo credit: AP
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said India had committed to stop buying Russian oil, days after Delhi reiterated that “national interests” would be the “guiding factor” for India’s energy supply.
US President Donald Trump, when he announced the trade deal with Delhi in early February, claimed that India had agreed not to buy oil from Russia.
Since then, the US has repeatedly claimed that India will stop buying oil from Russia.
Speaking at the Munich Security Conference on Saturday (February 14, 2026), Mr Rubio said: “In our talks with India, we got their commitment to stop buying more Russian oil.” He was responding to a question about the Russian-Ukrainian war and the sanctions imposed on Moscow.
After announcing the deal in an executive order, Mr. Trump lifted another 25% tariff on India that he had imposed last August on oil purchases from Russia.
India has previously said it will maintain more sources for oil purchases and diversify them to ensure stability in the supply chain, with national interests remaining the “guiding factor” in the purchase, Foreign Minister Vikram Misri said this week.
Published – 15 Feb 2026 20:04 IST