Skip to content

Former British Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor linked to Jeffrey Epstein arrested for misconduct in public office | Today’s news

February 19, 2026

British police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office. It is the first time that the brother of the British King Charles III. arrested for his connection to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

What Thames Police said

“As part of the investigation we have today (19/02) arrested a man in his 60s from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in a public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk,” Thames Valley Police said in a statement.

“The man remains in a police cell at the moment.

“We will not be naming the man arrested under national guidelines. Please also remember that this case is now active so care must be taken in any disclosure to avoid contempt of court.”

Deputy Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now launched an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in a public office.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged crime.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case and will provide updates in due course.”

Read also | The British monarchy cannot escape the shadow of the Epstein scandal

Arrested on his birthday

Incidentally, Andrew was taken into custody on February 19th, which also happens to be his birthday. According to The Guardian, Andrew was arrested while celebrating his birthday.

Pictures circulating online showed unmarked police cars at Mountbatten-Windsor’s home, Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers gathered outside.

It was the first time a senior member of the British royal family had been arrested by the police.

Andrew’s ties to Epstein

The 66-year-old former prince was one of Epstein’s most prominent collaborators. Although he repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, in October 2025 King Charles III. stripped Andrew of his royal titles.

Andrew’s ties to Epstein were back in the spotlight last month after the US Department of Justice released millions of documents related to its investigation of the convicted sex offender.

This includes several photographs and his email correspondence with Epstein, including his invitation to Buckingham Palace.

Read also | Jeffrey Epstein planned a ‘baby ranch’ to spread his DNA, report says

No One Is Above The Law : Starmer

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer previously said that if Andrew is asked to testify to US authorities about his involvement with Epstein, he should do so.

Starmer told the BBC that anyone with relevant information about violence against women and girls had a duty to come forward, “whoever they are”.

Asked whether Andrew should also voluntarily speak to British police, Starmer said that was a matter for investigators. The British Prime Minister emphasized that everyone is equal before the law and no one is above it.

The Law Must Take Its Course: King Charles

King Charles III he said in a statement that he had learned “with the deepest concern” of Andrew’s arrest, adding that “the law must take its course”.

“It was with the deepest concern that I learned of the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and the allegations of misconduct in public office. There is now a full, fair and orderly process to investigate this matter in an appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and unqualified support and co-operation.”

Let me be clear: the law must be followed. As this process is ongoing, it would not be appropriate for me to comment further on the matter. In the meantime, my family and I will continue our duty and service to you all,” the statement read.

Index
    Settings