Esports World Cup in Paris: World’s biggest gaming event moved from Saudi Arabia amid war fears

Ralf Reichert, head of the Saudi Arabian Esports Foundation, with French President Emmanuel Macron. (Image credit: Esports Foundation) The world’s biggest esports tournament will take place in Paris this summer after organizers moved the event from Riyadh amid concerns over the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.The 2026 edition of the Esports World Cup will be held from July 6 to August 23 and will offer a staggering prize pool of over $75 million, making it the richest esports competition ever held.More than 2,000 players representing 200 clubs from around the world are expected to compete in 24 major gaming titles, including League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-Strike 2 and Valorant. Why was the tournament moved?The competition, backed by Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund and launched in 2024, has previously been held in Saudi Arabia in its first two editions. Riyadh was originally expected to host the tournament again in 2026.However, organizers admitted that regional instability forced a rethink.Ralf Reichert, head of the Saudi Arabian Esports Foundation, said the geopolitical situation has created a lot of uncertainty regarding travel and logistics for the teams and players involved.According to Reichert, a major factor in the decision to relocate the event was concerns about whether the competitors would be able to transport themselves safely and smoothly to the region in the required time frame. Macron celebrates “historic first”French President Emmanuel Macron enthusiastically welcomed the announcement, calling it a “historic first and an honor” for France.Macron also thanked Saudi Arabia for its trust, while expressing confidence that Paris will successfully host the global esports spectacle.Officials believe the tournament could provide a significant boost to tourism in the Paris region, with thousands of players, staff and fans expected to arrive during the seven-week event.Despite the temporary move, organizers said the long-term plan remains to rotate the competition between global cities, with the tournament expected to return to Riyadh in 2027.