
View of the SNR district hospital in Kolář. | Photo credit: FILE PHOTO
CT and MRI services in several district hospitals in Karnataka, which were suspended after a private service provider stopped operations, have been restored through alternative measures taken by the state government.
The health ministry said patients would not be affected as the scanning facilities were mapped to nearby government institutions and engaged private institutions in the same district.
Krishnaa Diagnostics Ltd. has been providing CT scan services in 13 district hospitals and MRI services in five district hospitals under the PPP model since 2017. The company has stopped services since February 18 due to non-payment of fees.
The disruption sparked protests in some hospitals, including in Kolar and Yadgir, where patients and their relatives claimed they were left running from pillar to post for scans. In the SNR district hospital in Kolář, family members gathered on the premises demanding the restoration of services.
A relative of the patient who attended the protest said the patient had been trying to get a scan for the past two days. “Today they demand ₹6,000 for a scan. How can the poor afford it? Are government hospitals just for name?” he asked.
A similar situation was reported at Yadgir Mother and Child Hospital (the old district hospital), where nurses complained of insecurity about conducting diagnostic tests as the company had also stopped service there.
Alternative arrangement
In a statement, the ministry said it has entered into alternative arrangements with government and private medical colleges and hospitals under the Suvarna Arogya Suraksha Trust (SAST). As per existing norms, CT and MRI services are provided to BPL patients free of cost and with 30% subsidy for APL patients at designated centres.
The company claimed that it has to get outstanding dues of around ₹143.78 crore, which has been in dispute since 2019. The ministry said that the claimed amount was not received and therefore not due. It added that the government has sufficient funds to continue CT and MRI services and that eligible payments will be released after proper verification.
Irregularities
Health Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao told The Hindu that the dispute dates back to 2019 and involves disagreements over billing and annual escalation. “They are demanding more than ₹140 crore. We found some irregularities. In some cases where one scan was required, multiple scans were billed. We said we cannot release payments that are not properly verified,” he said.
The minister said the government has moved payments to the SAST model, which has reduced costs. “We will pay what is rightfully due, but we cannot accept exorbitant claims. Alternative arrangements have been made in neighboring hospitals and medical colleges. Patients can get scans free of charge. There is no problem for the public,” he said, adding that if the dispute persists, further action against the company would be considered.
Attack of the opposition
Meanwhile, Leader of Opposition R. Ashok alleged that Karnataka’s public health system was “falling apart” under the Congress government. He shared a copy of the company’s letter to X and said that ₹143.78 crore in dues was pending for three years.
“Rs 143.78 crore unpaid. Three years late. Repeated statements ignored. This is not a minor administrative error. This is financial paralysis of the health department,” he wrote.
Mr. Ashok said that basic diagnostic services were under threat and asked why the payments were not cleared. He demanded that Chief Minister Siddaramaiah take responsibility and sought the removal of the Health Minister.
The diagnostic firm, in a letter dated February 15 to the Mission Director, National Health Mission, Karnataka, warned that it would suspend CT and MRI services from February 18 unless at least ₹50 crore was released as an interim payment.
Published – 19 Feb 2026 21:21 IST