Skip to content

British police appeal to Indian community in Hayes and Southall after man convicted of rape – more victims feared | Today’s news

February 20, 2026

London’s Metropolitan Police have issued an urgent appeal specifically targeting women from the Indian community in south-west London after 37-year-old Gurwinder Singh was convicted of numerous sex offences, including rape.

Singh was found guilty at Southwark Crown Court on Wednesday of rape, attempted rape, assault by penetration, two counts of sexual assault and one count of common assault. He is due to be sentenced in April.

Police fear wider victimization

Detectives investigating Singh’s crimes believe there may be more victims, particularly among women in the Hayes and Southall areas.

“They are particularly keen to hear from women from the Indian community who live in the Hayes or Southall area as they believe he may have targeted a particular community,” the Met Police said in a statement.

“However, detectives are keeping an open mind and are appealing to anyone who may have met or spoken to him online or who has any information about his offending,” the statement added.

How the crime developed

Singh’s conviction followed a June 2025 report from a woman who had been raped at a hotel in Paddington, west London. She was contacted by someone who claimed to have helped her find work as a carer.

The victim said: “A short time later the same man came back into the room, claimed to be the ‘athlete’, stripped and told her she needed a massage. She refused and he then became physically violent before attacking and raping her.”

The woman managed to escape and was assisted by two members of the public. She later received threats from Singh, who warned that the attack had been recorded and if she reported it, it would “go viral”. Despite this, she bravely contacted the police the next day.

Police praise the bravery of the victim

Detective Constable Lydia Webb, who led the investigation, praised the bravery of the victim:

“The victim in this case has shown incredible courage in coming forward and revealing what happened to her – it is because of her bravery that Singh has been convicted and is unable to cause further harm.”

She added: “We believe there may be other women who have been victims of Singh’s crimes and want to provide reassurance that any reports will be fully investigated and dealt with sensitively and compassionately. We recognize that coming forward can be a daunting experience, but we would encourage victim-survivors to speak to us so they can get the support and help they so richly deserve.”

Online fraud

Investigations revealed that Singh pretended to be a woman online to gain the victims’ trust. Forensic analysis of the nine seized devices confirmed his fraud and extensive communications with multiple women.

Police found that Singh booked hotel rooms more than 100 times between December 2024 and August 2025 and contacted many women under false pretenses.

“While downloading the data, it quickly became apparent that the woman who brokered the job was in fact Singh,” the Met Police said.

Calling for more victims

The Metropolitan Police is appealing for anyone who may have had contact with Singh to come forward. Survivors can also seek help through independent charities such as Rape Crisis if they do not wish to contact the police directly.

“We want to provide reassurance that reports will be fully investigated and dealt with sensitively and compassionately,” said DC Webb.

Index
    Settings