Skip to content

Benfica, Prestianni in trouble? Possible punishments if Vinicius’ racism claim is true

February 19, 2026

Benfica and Gianluca Prestianni face the possibility of serious disciplinary action after UEFA launched an investigation into allegations of racist abuse directed at Real Madrid winger Vinicius Jr. during Tuesday’s Champions League match in Lisbon.

The first leg at the Stadium of Light was stopped for almost 10 minutes after Vinicius flagged down referee Francois Letexier for an alleged discriminatory remark. UEFA’s anti-racism protocol was triggered and Real Madrid players briefly walked off the pitch before the game eventually resumed.

This happened between Vincius Jr. and Prestianni.

He gave an absolute banger, went to celebrate, got booked and then Argentinian Prestianni got mad and reacted by covering his mouth to racially abuse him. pic.twitter.com/Iv7tcFvAeQ— 10 (@Kylian) February 17, 2026

It was another worrying episode for Vinicius in a career too often marred by abuse. The Brazilian, one of football’s most prominent stars, has repeatedly been forced to face racism on and off the pitch.

“Racists are above all cowards,” Vinicius later wrote on Instagram as the incident reignited anger and debate across European football.

Prestianni denied the allegations, saying that no racist insult was directed at Vinicius and that the situation had been misinterpreted. Benfica have also defended their young striker, claiming he is the target of what they described as a “smear campaign”.

On Wednesday, the Portuguese club shared footage of the exchange at X and insisted the Madrid players’ claims did not add up.

“As the pictures show, given the distance, the Real Madrid players could not have heard what they said they heard,” Benfica said, reiterating that they “fully support” Prestianni’s account of events.

Tensions surrounding the incident developed in an already heated atmosphere in Lisbon. Benfica fans reacted angrily to Vinicius celebrating his second-half goal by dancing at the corner flag, with bottles and other objects allegedly thrown at Madrid players before Real held on to win 1-0.

With UEFA now entering the game, both the player and the club could face major consequences if the allegations are confirmed.

WHAT HAPPENED IN BENFICA Vs REAL MADRID?

Controversy erupted soon after Vinicius struck in the 50th minute to give Real Madrid the advantage in the Champions League play-off first leg.

During the celebration near the corner Vinicius was approached by Prestianni who appeared to be speaking while covering his mouth with his shirt. Vinicius then went straight to referee Franois Letexier to announce that he had been racially abused, with broadcast cameras capturing him allegedly using the word “mono” (“monkey”).

Letexier immediately stopped the match and followed UEFA’s anti-racism procedure, with Vinicius sitting in the dugout during the stoppage. It was clear that the Madrid players were considering walking off the field, but the match continued after discussions.

Prestianni was not booked and remained on the pitch until being substituted in the 81st minute, receiving applause from the home crowd. The second leg will be played in Madrid on February 25 and UEFA is expected to move quickly given the timing of the tie.

POSSIBLE PENALTIES FOR BENFICA, PRESTIANNI

If UEFA’s disciplinary proceedings uphold the allegation, both Prestianni and Benfica could face severe sanctions under the organisation’s regulations on discriminatory behaviour.

For Prestianni, the penalty could be significant.

  • A minimum 10-match ban from UEFA competitions
  • Additional bans depending on the severity of the offense
  • Significant fines for the player and potentially the club

Benfica could also come under a disciplinary review if fans’ behavior is found to have crossed the line, particularly after online clips emerged showing monkey gestures from parts of the stands. Here are just a few:

  • Large financial penalties
  • Partial closure of the stadium for future European matches
  • Restrictions on the sale of away tickets for Benfica fans

Further sanctions if UEFA deems the club responsible for failing to prevent discriminatory behaviour

UEFA has appointed a disciplinary inspector to gather evidence and statements before the case is heard by the commission. Given that Vinicius has repeatedly been subjected to racist abuse in recent years, the outcome of this investigation is expected to attract a lot of attention from around the football world in the coming days.

– The end

Issued by:

Debodinna Chakraborty

Published on:

February 19, 2026

Index
    Settings