BCCI is worried whether Rohit Sharma can stay fit till 2027 ODI World Cup
Kolkata: Mumbai Indians’ Rohit Sharma returns to the pavilion after his dismissal during the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2026 T20 cricket match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians in Kolkata, West Bengal. (PTI Photo/Swapan Mahapatra) (PTI05_20_2026_000480B) NEW DELHI: The build-up to Tuesday’s selection meeting was hectic. As the selectors prepared the schedule for next year’s ODI World Cup in South Africa, they were at loggerheads over the fitness issues of Rohit Sharma and Hardik Pandya. While the duo was eventually picked for the three-match ODI series against Afghanistan depending on fitness, TOI learned that the BCCI is concerned about their ability to play the 50-over format at an optimum level.It is understood that while the selectors, team management and the BCCI are concerned about Hardik’s ability to bowl 10 overs at full tilt, they are more worried about Rohit lasting the distance until the World Cup in October-November next year. The selectors were looking for Rohit’s fitness reports as he has not played in the IPL for three weeks due to a hamstring injury. “Rohit did not report to the BCCI Center of Excellence (CoE) for those three weeks. He has become lean but there are concerns that his body will be able to take the strain of a high-performance sport. He has to play 50 overs. ODI cricket does not have an Impact Player option like IPL. The body needs time to heal when you are so close to turning BC40.“Hardik was not told about his fitness issues 48 hours before the selection meeting. He has not played for Mumbai Indians since May 2. He complained of back spasms after the Chennai game but has not played since then. He has reportedly been training at the Reliance facility and the Wankhede Stadium as needed. His fitness has not changed as his selectors are just not afraid to join the team.” about not playing 10 overs,” the source added.The selectors and team management are nervous about Rohit’s situation as they need to prepare other back-up openers apart from Yashasvi Jaiswal. “There aren’t many ODIs before the World Cup. Jaiswal doesn’t get enough game time. Ishan has been picked to double up as an opener. But if Rohit fails to make it to the World Cup and either Shubman Gill or Jaiswal gets injured, another opener has to be lined up,” the source said.As for Hardik, he was not cleared by the CoE to bowl 10 overs ahead of the three-match ODI series against New Zealand in the first week of January and was therefore not picked for the ODIs as the selectors wanted to retain him for the T20 World Cup. However, five days later, he bowled a 10-over for Baroda in a Vijay Hazare Trophy match. Voters are pinning their hopes on Nitish Kumar Reddy and Harshit Rana playing the roles of middle bowling all-rounders.Time for separate parameters for Rohit, Virat?We also learned that the BCCI and the team management are trying to move away from the idea that Rohit and Virat Kohli’s ODI prospects need to be brought together. “Right now, Kohli’s fitness and form is better than most cricketers in India. But one has to understand that Kohli and Rohit cannot be clubbed together anymore. A firm decision needs to be taken regarding Rohit after consulting the BCCI medical team,” the source said.It has also been observed that Rohit is not playing ultra-aggressive batting since he was relieved of the captaincy post ICC Champions Trophy 2025. Sources said that the team management is not exactly convinced about this approach.