Skip to content

All closed tourist destinations in J&K to reopen by May: CM Omar Abdullah

February 20, 2026

A tea seller clears snow from his stall in Doodhpathri in central Kashmir’s Budgam district, 45 kilometers from Srinagar, on Tuesday (Feb. 17, 2026). The destination, which closed after the Pahalgam attack in April 2025, reopened on Monday (February 16, 2026). | Photo credit: IMRAN NISSAR

J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Thursday (February 19, 2026) that all tourist destinations in Kashmir, which were closed after the Pahalgam attack, “will be reopened by May”. “The J&K government has discussed the matter with the Union government,” Abdullah told the J&K assembly.

At least 44 tourist destinations in Kashmir have been closed after the 2025 Pahalgam terror attack that killed 26 people, mostly tourists. So far, roughly 30 destinations have gradually reopened.

Mr. Abdullah also said that tourists who visit Mata Vaishno Devi shrine can become a resource. “Even if we divert 10% of this impact to places like Bhaderwah or tourist spots on the border, it has the potential to boost tourism in the Jammu region,” Mr. Abdullah said.

Mr. Abdullah said that the J&K government intends to open new destinations and market them, though selling a new destination has always been difficult. “Kashmir, once described as a summer destination, has changed. The tourism season is now longer,” he added.

Published – 19 Feb 2026 20:02 IST

Index
    Settings