Aimee Bock, head of the Feeding Our Future fraud scheme, sentenced to 40 years in prison; here’s why | Today’s news
Convicted Feeding Our Future fraud ringleader Aimee Bock was sentenced Thursday (local time) to more than 40 years in prison in Minnesota.
CBS News reported that a judge gave Bock a 500-month sentence and ordered her to repay nearly $243 million to the federal government.
Read also | Shakira was approved in a Spanish tax case, the court ordered the return of 70 million dollars
Bock’s sentencing came a year after a jury found her guilty of several crimes, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit bribery of a federal program. Prosecutors in the case alleged she orchestrated the nation’s largest pandemic fraud case, diverting tens of millions of dollars in government money meant to feed hungry children.
What is the Feeding Our Future scam?
Aimee Bock, founder and CEO of the nonprofit Feeding Our Future, allegedly hatched a plan to defraud a $250 million federal child nutrition program that was supposed to be used to feed children across Minnesota during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The defendants allegedly abused federal child nutrition programs designed to provide free meals to low-income children and adults. These programs are funded by the US Department of Agriculture and monitored at the state level. In Minnesota, funds are administered by the Department of Education, with meals typically distributed to children through schools and child care facilities. Eligible food sites are usually operated by approved non-profit or public organizations.
Feeding Our Future previously served as an approved sponsor in the scheme, reportedly distributing about $3.4 million in 2019. However, by 2021, the amount associated with the organization had increased dramatically, reaching approximately $200 million.
Read also | US court withdraws Elon Musk’s accusation of fraud against OpenAI, the trial will continue
how did it work
Citing the plaintiffs, CBS News reported that several businesses have applied for approval to serve meals to low-income children, and many have partnered with Feeding Our Future as their sponsoring organization to gain access to federal funding. Staff at Feeding Our Future allegedly helped recruit individuals to create program pages across Minnesota that overstated the number of children served and in some cases reported meals that were never actually provided. Prosecutors say the nonprofit then submitted fraudulent claims for reimbursement and collected an administrative fee of approximately 10-15 percent, along with other commissions, from participants involved in the scheme.
Court documents also reveal how the fraudulent scheme used shell companies to falsify invoices showing the meals served to the children and submit fake attendance lists purporting to include the names and ages of the children who were fed each day.
Read also | Texas woman charged with murder after two children found dead: Report
In addition, a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) affidavit revealed that one organization claimed to be serving meals to roughly 300 children a day in January 2021. By February 2021, this number had risen dramatically to 3,290 daily meals. Overall, the group received about $3.6 million in reimbursements this year. Investigators noted that a similar amount was deposited into her bank account, then most of the funds were transferred to another company, with only a small portion actually spent on food.
Here’s what happened at Bock’s hearing
Before Bock’s sentence was announced, Assistant US Attorney Rebecca Kline said, “Aimee Bock did not participate in the fraud, she organized it and profited from it.”
Before sentencing, the judge said Bock “acted as a gatekeeper” and had an integral role in planning the scheme. The judge also said the convicted ringleader of a $250 million fraud in Minnesota lied on the stand during her trial.
Prosecutors sought a 50-year sentence for Bock, saying the scandal caused great harm to the state of Minnesota. They also argued that Bock showed little responsibility or remorse, claiming that she disclosed protected documents while in custody.
According to court filings, the accused used recorded calls from prison to order her son to send documents related to the case to political officials and the media. Prosecutors say some of the leaked material involved, among other things, protected witness information.
In response to her 40-year sentence, Bock said, “I have no words to express how terrible I feel,” adding, “I know I am responsible. It was never my goal to pass responsibility. I understand that I failed to protect the program I was supposed to protect.”
Bock’s attorney argued that her crime was a case of “gross negligence,” adding, “I’m not saying she doesn’t take responsibility. What I’m saying is that if I can project the judgment on what Ms. Bock intended to do for this group of people, in her mind she thought she was giving them access to be good citizens and be in this program.”
Dozens more have been convicted in connection with the Feeding Our Future program.
Key things
- The case of Feeding Our Future is an example of how non-profit organizations can be manipulated for personal gain.
- Effective oversight is essential in federal funding programs to prevent fraud, especially during crises.
- Awareness of fraudulent activities can protect resources intended for vulnerable populations.