
The Nilgiris district administration has issued the first summons to more than 900 potentially illegal buildings in the district to submit documents, following the orders of the Madras High Court.
Nilgiris District Collector Lakshmi Bhavya Tanneeru told reporters on Monday that notices have been issued to commercial and residential buildings to submit relevant documents. She said if the respondents produced the documents on time, the depositions would be withdrawn. She said around 75 illegal buildings were also sealed.
“Last week, when we received information that work was being done in a sealed building, an FIR was also filed against the owner and contractor of the building,” said the Collector, adding that the district administration is taking strict action against violators.
She also added that teams have been formed at the local authority level to visit construction sites and report directly to the district administration about potential illegal buildings and whether work is being done in illegal closed buildings.
The Collector also said that the public who notice illegal constructions can also inform the district administration through the special line 94427-72709.
To help navigate the rules for obtaining building permits, residents can also contact another helpline – 94427-72701 for information on what permits are required and which authorities to contact. They can contact the numbers, state the area, get a clear idea about what No Objection Certificates (NOCs) are required and how to apply for them and check their status, the Collector said.
Published – 17 Feb 2026 19:39 IST