
TNSTC buses parked at the bus stand in Tamil Nadu. Representative image. File | Photo Credit: S. Siva Saravanan
On Tuesday (July 8, 2025), the Madras High Court ordered that Tamil Nadu Buses Nadu State Transport Corporation (TNSTC) should not be allowed to switch through four concessionaries on national highways leading to the South districts of the State 10.
Justice N. Anand Venkatesh said he had no choice but to take an extreme step to prevent public transport over tolls, because the Ministry of Transport did not take steps to settle the arrears of 276 crore for four National Authority in India (Nhai).
‘Deployment of Police’
The judge who would be aware of the acceptance of the shocking order that could lead to the situation in the field of law and order ordered the CEO of the Police/Police Manager (DGP/HOPF) to ensure adequate police forces in Kapalur, Etturavattam, Salaipuru and Nanguneria of the Tol Plazas.
The judge ordered the High Court register to identify a copy of his interim command DGP and the general inspector of the police (southern zone) to follow the letter and ghost, and decided to evaluate the situation on July 15th.
Concessionaries
Madurai-Kanniyakumari Tollway Private Limited, Kanniyakumari-Etturavattam Tollway Private Limited, Salaipudur-Madurai Tollway Private Limited and Nanguneri-Kanniyakumari Tollway Private Limited last year.
Sathish Parasaran, head of the written petitioner, claimed that his clients had suffered huge losses due to the failure of government buses Tamil Nadu pay fees for tolls, although they use national highways for transporting their passengers.
No Fastag
He said that most government buses also do not have a Fastag device in violation of the rules framed by the center. Mr. Parasaran said that tolls staff could not dare to stop buses because of the non -payment of tolls because they fear that they would be snowing into the law and the order of the situation.
The court announced that the state transport corporations had only settled about 48.5 GBP Crore and that still 276 Crore (including the principal 116 Crore with the exception of punishment and interest), four Nhai concessionaries needed to be paid.
After recording the submission of Judge Venkatesh, he said that the amount could eventually grow to more than 300 to 400 GBP Crore if traffic corporations continue to extend the problem without sitting quickly over the concessionaire to settle fees.
He also observed that government officials did not have to understand the seriousness of the problem and act quickly if the extreme step of stopping buses on toll squares has been rested. He said that corporations brought such an uncertain situation to each other, thus adversely affecting ordinary people.
Published – 8 July 2025 06:26 IS IS





