Why is Trump withdrawing his $10 billion tax records lawsuit against the IRS? Tax Evasion Case, Allied Compensation Fund Explained | Today’s news

US President Donald Trump has decided to drop his $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his confidential tax returns.

The move comes amid reports that the Trump administration is considering creating a multibillion-dollar compensation fund for some of the president’s allies who say they were unfairly investigated or prosecuted under the previous administration.

What was Trump’s lawsuit against the IRS?

Trump filed a lawsuit in federal court in Florida, accusing the IRS of failing to protect confidential tax information belonging to him, the Trump Organization and members of his family.

The lawsuit alleged that the leak of his tax records caused:

-“Damage to reputation and financial loss”

– Damage to business reputation

-Negative effects on public standing

Trump’s sons, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, were also named as plaintiffs in the case.

Why were Trump’s tax returns leaked?

The controversy stems from the actions of former IRS contractor Charles Edward Littlejohn, who pleaded guilty to leaking tax information related to Trump and other wealthy Americans.

Littlejohn worked for Booz Allen Hamilton, a major defense and technology consulting firm.

In 2024, he was sentenced to five years in prison for leaking confidential tax records to the media between 2018 and 2020.

Why is Trump withdrawing the lawsuit now?

Trump’s decision to withdraw the lawsuit comes after reports that his administration may create a $1.7 billion fund to compensate political allies who believe they were improperly targeted by law enforcement during former President Joe Biden’s administration.

According to reports, Trump was prepared to drop the IRS case as part of a broader settlement agreement.

But the federal court filing filed Monday did not mention any details of such an agreement.

Trump’s lawyers hinted at possible settlement talks earlier this year by asking for a 90-day pause in the case.

Why is the proposed Compensation Fund controversial?

The idea of ​​a government-backed compensation fund for Trump allies has drawn strong criticism from Democrats and ethics watchdogs.

Representative Jamie Raskin called the proposal “unconstitutional.”

In an interview with ABC, Raskin said, “This is obviously a political grievance fund that Donald Trump can use to pay off his friends.”

He argued that individuals who believe they have been wrongfully prosecuted should pursue lawsuits in the courts rather than receive government payouts.

“If these people have a valid cause of action, they should take it to court like any other American,” Raskin said.

What are Trump’s claims of political targeting?

Trump has repeatedly claimed that the Justice Department under the Biden administration was politically weaponized against him and his supporters.

He cited several criminal investigations conducted against him between his two terms as president, including cases involving:

-Classified documents found at Mar-a-Lago

-Investigation of riots at the Capitol on January 6

Several Trump aides and supporters were also prosecuted.

Former Attorney General Merrick Garland has repeatedly denied allegations of political bias, saying the Justice Department’s decisions were based on “facts, evidence and law.”

It remains unclear whether the reported compensation fund will actually be created or who would be entitled to the payments.

Read also | Lai says Taiwan won’t be sacrificed if Trump considers arms deal

Similar Posts