Ensure Vinesh Phogat’s participation in Asian Games Tests: Delhi HC raps WFI
The Delhi High Court on Friday, May 22, came down heavily on the Wrestling Federation of India for trying to block wrestler Vinesh Phogat from returning to competitive wrestling before the 2026 Asian Games. It pulled up the federation for its decision to declare Phogat ineligible for domestic events and ordered authorities to ensure that the decorated wrestler can participate in the upcoming Asian Games.
In a scathing statement during the hearing, the Supreme Court asked why Indian wrestling should continue to suffer due to the long-standing conflict between Vinesh Phogat and the federation.
“Whatever the dispute or dispute, why should the cause of wrestling suffer?” the court noted while hearing the case.
ARRANGE EXAMS FOR VINESH PHOGAT: DELHI HC
The court also asked the Center to form an expert committee to evaluate Phogat’s case and ensure her participation in the Asian Games selection process.
The remarks come weeks after the Indian Wrestling Federation announced new eligibility criteria for the Asian Games selection trials, effectively closing the door on Phogat’s comeback.
Under the new rules, only medal winners from selected tournaments in 2025 and 2026 would be eligible to take part in the trials. As Phogat had not competed in any professional events following her heartbreaking disqualification from the 2024 Paris Olympics, she was automatically excluded from the criteria.
The High Court seemed unconvinced by the federation’s reasoning and openly questioned the timing and intent of the sudden change in selection policy.
“Motherhood is celebrated in this country,” the court noted, commenting on Phogat’s return to wrestling after maternity leave.
The court further noted that the WFI’s departure from earlier selection policies “speaks volumes”, a statement that indirectly strengthened Phogat’s allegations that the federation was deliberately trying to prevent her from returning to the mat.
VINESH PHOGAT vs WFI
Phogat has repeatedly accused the WFI of creating administrative hurdles that prevent it from participating in domestic tournaments.
Earlier this month, the wrestler revealed that she tried to register for the national open ranking tournament, but the registration portal showed that applications had already closed before the deadline.
“I hope to come back for the National Open Ranking Tournament. Registration for it was open until April 30. However, when I tried to register, the portal says it is now closed,” said Phogat.
Only after she raised the issue publicly did the federation process her registration on the last day.
WFI president Sanjay Singh denied wrongdoing and claimed her registration had already been completed, although records showed the process was only initiated after her complaint became public.
Phogat also alleged similar interference ahead of the Federation Cup earlier this year.
“I had intended to compete there as well, but the selection criteria for the teams was changed at the last minute so I couldn’t participate,” she said.
“It feels like a deliberate attempt to stop me from competing, especially when it’s an important tournament that we have to bid for in the Asian Games and World Cup selection trials,” she added.
WFI’s latest announcement further deepened these concerns.
According to the federation’s eligibility list, only medal winners from the following events would be eligible to participate in the Asian Games trials:
- Senior National Wrestling Championship 2025 in Ahmedabad
- Senior Federation Cup 2026 in Ghaziabad
- 2026 U20 National Wrestling Championship at Bhilai
The women’s wrestling trials are scheduled to be held on May 30 at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in New Delhi, while the freestyle and Greco Roman trials will be held on May 31 at the SAI Regional Center in Lucknow.
ALLEGING SEXUAL HARASSMENT
Phogat’s feud with the federation has been ongoing since she emerged as one of the main faces of the wrestlers’ protest against former WFI chief Briji Bhushan Sharan Singh.
The protest movement eventually led to Brij Bhushan’s exit from the federation. However, several wrestlers continued to remain at loggerheads with the WFI leadership after Sanjay Singh, widely regarded as a close associate of the former president, took over the federation.
In a major escalation earlier this month, Phogat publicly identified herself as one of six female wrestlers who accused Brij Bhushan of sexual harassment.
In a video statement released on May 3, Phogat said she was forced to reveal her identity despite legal protections guaranteeing anonymity to complainants and claimed repeated attempts had been made to derail her wrestling comeback ahead of the 2026 Asian Games.
She confirmed that she remains one of the complainants in the ongoing criminal case against Brij Bhushan, where witness statements are still being recorded.
– The end
Issued by:
Kingshuk Kusari
Published on:
May 22, 2026 1:10 PM IST
‘, e.appendChild