Injury blow for Pakistan! Fakhar Zaman, Saim Ayub ruled out for Australia ODIs

Fakhar Zaman and Saim Ayub ruled out of Australia ODIs (Image: ESPNcricinfo) Pakistan openers Fakhar Zaman and Saim Ayub have been ruled out of the upcoming three-match ODI series against Australia due to injuries, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) confirmed on Wednesday. The series is scheduled to begin on May 30 in Rawalpindi, with the remaining two matches to be played in Lahore on June 2 and 4.In an official statement, the PCB said that both the left-handers are currently undergoing rehabilitation under the supervision of the board’s medical panel.“The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has informed that both players are currently recovering from their injuries and have been advised to continue their rehabilitation programs under the supervision of the PCB Medical Panel. As a result, they have been ruled out of selection for the ODI series,” the statement said.“PCB wishes both the players a speedy recovery and looks forward to their return to competitive cricket at the earliest opportunity. Further updates regarding the squad and players’ fitness will be released in due course,” it added. While the board did not release specific details of their injuries or recovery timetables, sources said Fakhar is dealing with a knee problem while Saim aggravated an ankle injury during the Pakistan Super League (PSL).Fakhar has previously been dealing with a chronic knee problem that has forced him to miss matches in the past. Meanwhile, Saim’s ankle problems date back to January last year when he fractured his right ankle during the second Test against South Africa. The youngster only recently returned to international cricket after a long period of recovery.Saim also endured a disappointing PSL campaign and was left out of Pakistan’s ODI squad for the Bangladesh series after the T20 World Cup. Fakhar was also not selected for the tour of Bangladesh, which Pakistan lost 2-1.Both players last featured in ODIs during Pakistan’s home series against Sri Lanka in November 2025. With the duo unavailable, Sahibzada Farhan, who recently toured Bangladesh, is expected to retain his place in the squad, while former captain Babar Azam is also being considered as a possibility to open the Australian series.