Skip to content

Stimulus checks: Will Americans get $2,000 payday promised by Trump after Supreme Court strikes down tariffs? | Today’s news

February 21, 2026

In the months following the announcement of the sweeping US tariffs, President Donald Trump announced $2,000 checks for all Americans from the levy money. But that plan may be in jeopardy after the Supreme Court struck down the US tariffs on Friday.

In a highly anticipated ruling on February 10, the Supreme Court ruled that the US tariffs imposed by Trump were illegal and that the president exceeded his authority by failing to consult with Congress before imposing the global levies.

“The president asserts extraordinary authority to unilaterally impose tariffs unlimited in amount, duration, and scope,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in a 6-3 opinion. “In light of the breadth, history, and constitutional context of this asserted authority, they must identify Congress’s clear authority to exercise it.”

Read also | Trump’s latest tariffs: Netizens rake in Epstein, jobs and Iran

Will American families get a $2,000 check?

The Supreme Court’s decision could be a blow to middle-income American families, as it is now even less clear whether they will get any benefits from the tariff revenue that the Trump administration has so far earned.

The Supreme Court ruling invalidated billions of dollars in “reciprocal” and extraordinary tariffs, potentially requiring the government to return approximately $130-175 billion in collected revenue.

That could derail Trump’s plans to give a $2,000 stimulus check to low- and moderate-income American families.

“People who oppose tariffs are FOOLS! … A dividend of at least $2,000 per person (except high earners!) will be paid to everyone,” he wrote on Truth Social in November.

The next day, he repeated his assertion in the Oval Office: “We’re going to pay a dividend to our middle-income people and lower-income people of about $2,000, and we’re going to use the remaining tariffs to reduce our debt, we’re going to reduce our debt, which is a matter of national security,” Donald Trump said, according to USA Today.

Read also | Trump has imposed a global 10% tariff on all countries – what we know so farRead also | Trump’s first reaction to US Supreme Court tariff decision – ‘Have a backup plan’

In the months that followed, Trump repeated several times his intention to cash those checks, although Congress never approved such a proposal.

Trump kept repeating his claims for a $2,000 check until January, when he told the New York Times: “The tariff money is so substantial. It’s coming, I’ll be able to do $2,000 sometime. I’d say by the end of the year.”

However, there was no clear plan or timetable for inspections. The Trump administration also never provided any details about the checks, such as the exact amount or when they would be paid. Friday’s Supreme Court decision made the situation even clearer.

The White House also did not comment on the $2,000 dividend, but said it was doing what was best for the American people.

Trump hinted, “WE ARE IN THE WORKPLACE!” unless the Supreme Court ruled in his favor.

However, the president signed an executive order to impose a temporary 10% global tariff. The Trump administration, as well as POTUS himself, have said these tariffs are on top of the current fees countries pay in connection with their trade deals.

Key things

  • The Supreme Court ruling struck down Trump’s tariffs, which affected the proposed $2,000 stimulus checks.
  • The absence of a clear plan from the Trump administration is causing uncertainty in American families.
  • The decision potentially requires the government to return billions in collected tariff revenue.
Index
    Settings