Skip to content

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released from custody, remains under investigation for misconduct in public office | Today’s news

February 20, 2026

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, has been released from police custody after almost 12 hours of questioning in Norfolk. A 66-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in a public office and later released under investigation, according to a statement from Thames Valley Police.

Photographs obtained by Reuters showed Andrew lying in the back seat of a vehicle as he left Aylsham police station in Norfolk shortly after 19:00 GMT. He was later shown being driven to the Sandringham Estate.

Police statement

In an official update, Thames Valley Police confirmed:

“On Thursday we arrested a 60-year-old man from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The man arrested has now been released under investigation. We can also confirm that our search in Norfolk is now closed.’

The force did not provide further details regarding the nature of the evidence or the timeline of the ongoing investigation.

Charge

Andrew is being investigated over allegations he shared confidential information relating to official business visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore in 2010. The allegations relate to his past association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Authorities are investigating whether confidential business information may have been improperly shared during Andrew’s time as the UK’s Special Representative for International Trade and Investment.

Andrew has denied any wrongdoing connected to Epstein and has not directly addressed the latest allegations.

Previous controversies

Andrew stepped down from his role as trade envoy in 2011 amid intense criticism of his friendship with Epstein. The association continued to be scrutinized, especially after the US Department of Justice released more documents related to Epstein.

He has not been charged in connection with the current investigation.

The royal family’s reaction

King Charles III he did not respond to questions about his brother’s arrest while attending an event in central London earlier in the day. A palace statement later said “the law must take its course”. The Prince and Princess of Wales are said to support the King’s remarks.

King is scheduled to visit the United States in April.

Trump’s reaction

US President Donald Trump commented on Andrew’s arrest, describing the situation as “a very sad thing”. Trump also referred to his own legal affairs, saying he was “absolutely exonerated” of the Epstein-related files release, saying he “didn’t do anything.”

Index
    Settings