
A massive military build-up including warships, fighter jets and refueling aircraft is hovering over West Asia in anticipation of President Donald Trump’s orders. The target would be Iran if the ongoing negotiations on Tehran’s nuclear program fail to reach an agreement.
Iran and America recently held a second round of talks in Geneva. Despite the talks, the US continued to build a military presence.
According to CNN and CBS, the US military is ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, but Trump has yet to make a final decision. Russia and Iran have also conducted naval exercises in the Sea of Oman to deter any “unilateral action” in the region.
According to reports, the United States has deployed up to 13 warships in the Middle East. That includes one aircraft carrier – the USS Abraham Lincoln – nine destroyers and three littoral combat ships, AFP quoted a US official as saying. Also read | Poland urges citizens to leave Iran amid rising tensions – LIVE
Abraham Lincoln carries three destroyers – USS Frank E. Petersen Jr., USS Michael Murphy and USS Spruance. Other destroyers sent to sea include USS McFaul, USS Pinckney, and USS Mitscher.
The USS Gerald R Ford is also on its way to the Middle East. It is the largest aircraft carrier in the world. It is accompanied by three destroyers.
In total, there are two aircraft carriers that are deployed. They carry dozens of warplanes and sailors.
The United States also reportedly deployed several KC-135s flying near or in the Middle East, as well as E3 Sentry airborne warning and surveillance aircraft and cargo aircraft operating in the region.
F-22 and F-35 fighters are sent to the zone.
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Wednesday, Feb. 18, that while there has been “a little progress,” the two sides are “still very far apart on some issues.”
Leavitt also told reporters that there are “many reasons and arguments that could lead to a strike against Iran,” adding, “Iran would be very wise to make a deal.”
Donald Trump has previously threatened Iran with “violence” from a massive military unless it negotiates a “fair and just deal”. Donald Trump also sought to recall ‘Operation Midnight Hammer’ and warned that “the next attack will be much worse”.
In a post on Truth Social, Donald Trump said: “A massive military is headed for Iran. It is moving quickly, with great force, enthusiasm and purpose. It is a larger fleet, led by the great aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln, than the one sent to Venezuela. Like Venezuela, it is ready, willing and able to accomplish its mission quickly, with speed and violence if necessary.”