Skip to content

Real Madrid sent UEFA ‘all available evidence’ for Vinicius racism row

February 19, 2026

Real Madrid has formally provided UEFA with what it described as “all available evidence” regarding alleged racist abuse directed at Vinicius Junior during Tuesday’s Champions League play-off first leg first leg against SL Benfica in Lisbon.

In a detailed statement issued on Thursday, the Spanish club confirmed their full cooperation with the disciplinary proceedings launched by European football’s governing body following the incident which led to the temporary suspension of the match at the Estdio da Luz.

“Real Madrid CF announces that it has today provided UEFA with all available evidence regarding the incidents that occurred on Tuesday, February 17, during the Champions League match our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica,” the club said.

“Our club has actively co-operated with the investigation launched by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism we experienced during this match.”

MATCH STOPPED ACCORDING TO PROTOCOL

The controversy erupted shortly after Vincius scored five minutes into the second half to give Real Madrid a 1-0 lead. The Brazilian striker then reported to referee Francois Letexier that he had been subjected to racist abuse.

Real Madrid later identified the alleged perpetrator as Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni. The allegation prompted the implementation of UEFA’s anti-racism protocol, leading to a stoppage that lasted approximately 10 to 11 minutes while officials assessed the situation.

The match then resumed and Vincius completed the full 90 minutes. Real Madrid secured a narrow but valuable away win in the first leg tie.

UEFA confirmed on Wednesday that it had appointed an ethics and disciplinary inspector to conduct a formal investigation into the events. The governing body has not yet set a date for the outcome of its investigation.

BENFICA STAND AT PRESTIANNI

Prestianni strongly denied the allegation in a statement posted on social media that Vincius “misunderstood what he thought he heard.” SL Benfica also issued a firm response, backing their player and rejecting what they characterized as attempts to tarnish his reputation.

The Portuguese club said they would cooperate fully with UEFA’s investigation while defending their winger against what they called a “smear campaign”.

The matter attracted further attention due to the post-match comments of Benfica head coach Jose Mourinho. Speaking to Amazon Prime, Mourinho said the two players offered different accounts of the incident.

“I told him that when you score a goal like that, you just celebrate and go back,” Mourinho said, referring to Vincius. “They told me different things. But I don’t believe either of them. I want to be independent.”

He added that “something always happens” in matches where Vincius plays.

British anti-discrimination organization Kick It Out criticized Mourinho’s remarks, calling them “gaslighting” in the context of allegations of racism.

VINICIUS: NOTHING NEW IN MY LIFE

Vinicius later addressed the incident on Instagram in Portuguese, giving an emotional reaction to what he described as a familiar experience.

“Racists are cowards first and foremost. They need to put their shirt in their mouth to show how weak they are,” he wrote.

“But they have protection from others who theoretically have a duty to punish. Nothing that happened today is new in my life and the life of my family.”

The forward also expressed his frustration at how he handled the episode in the game, noting that he received a yellow card for celebrating his goal and questioning the effectiveness of the protocol implemented during the stoppage.

Vincius has previously been the target of racist abuse in Spain and has been vocal in calling for a stronger crackdown from football authorities. His latest accusation adds to ongoing concerns about discrimination in European football, particularly on major stages such as the Champions League.

REALLY REPEAT ANTI-RACISM ATTITUDE

In a statement, Real Madrid expressed its gratitude for what it described as the “unanimous support and affection” shown to its player from the entire football community.

“Real Madrid will continue to work with all institutions to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and in society,” the club said.

With the second leg scheduled for next Wednesday in Madrid, the focus will inevitably be not only on the sporting fixture but also on the outcome of UEFA’s investigation, which could have significant disciplinary consequences depending on its findings.

Until then, the matter remains under formal review, with both clubs maintaining their positions as European football once again faces the issue of racism on its biggest stage.

– The end

Issued by:

Saurabh Kumar

Published on:

February 19, 2026

Index
    Settings