
New Delhi (India), Feb 19 (ANI): Anil D Ambani has told the Supreme Court that his role in the concerned companies was only that of a non-executive director and that he was not involved in the day-to-day management or operational affairs of the concerned companies.
The declaration was made in an undertaking/affidavit filed on behalf of Anil D Ambani in a case titled EAS Sarma vs Union of India & Ors, a public interest litigation based on alleged ₹1.5 crore bank fraud involving Anil Ambani Group companies.
In the affidavit, Ambani stated that he is fully aware of the facts of the case and is entitled to de-swear the affidavit. He stated that the affidavit is filed to ensure the clarity, completeness and procedural transparency of the court record, to inform the court of the wider facts.
Referring to the Supreme Court order dated February 4, 2026, he reiterated the commitment recorded by the court that he would not leave the country without prior permission. Through this affidavit, he formally recorded this assurance. Also read | ₹ 3,000 crore linked to Anil Ambani’s Reliance Group in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai”>ED attaches 40 assets worth ₹3,000 crore linked to Anil Ambani’s Reliance Group in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai
Ambani further stated on oath that he has not left India since July 2025, when the current investigation began, and that he has no current plan or intention to travel abroad.
He undertook that in case of any foreign travel requirements, he would seek prior leave and permission of the Supreme Court before undertaking such travel.
The affidavit also states that he has cooperated and continues to cooperate fully with investigative agencies “in the utmost good faith” in connection with ongoing investigations. He revealed that he was summoned by the Law Enforcement Directorate to appear on February 26, 2026, and undertook to appear on the said date and join the investigation.
It is further stated that pending proceedings before the Court, an investigation under Section 50 of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002 is currently being conducted. Ambani has maintained that given his commitments and continued cooperation, he is not a flight risk and has no intention of avoiding the court process at all.
The affidavit ends with the statement that it was submitted in good faith and in the interest of presenting the correct factual and binding opinion of the Supreme Court. The verification page shows that it was confirmed in Mumbai on 18 February 2026.
The matter arises out of a PIL filed by former IAS officer EAS Sarma seeking a court-monitored probe into the alleged bank fraud. The Supreme Court had earlier directed the CBI and ED to report on the status of the case and the proceedings are still on. (OR)