
The official said the final fee structure will be decided once the committee submits its recommendations and receives approval from the state government. File | Photo credit: ANI
To check fake and duplicate entries, the Uttarakhand government on Tuesday (February 17, 2026) said it is now considering introducing a fee for online registration of the Char Dham Yatra. With more than 50 lakh takers last year, the yatra is the backbone of the state’s economy, which is mostly dependent on religious tourism.
Vinay Shankar Pandey, Garhwal Commissioner, told the media that a committee has been constituted to determine the amount as soon as possible. The same is done to discourage bogus registrations, which in previous years have led to overcrowding, logistical difficulties and security concerns as the pilgrimage attracts millions of devotees every year.
The official said the final fee structure will be decided once the committee submits its recommendations and receives approval from the state government. Only after this process will the fee be formally introduced.
This year, the yatra is scheduled to begin on April 19 with the opening of gates at Yamunotri and Gangotri. The portals of Kedarnath and Badrinath shrines will open on April 22 and April 23 respectively.
Published – 17 Feb 2026 22:37 IST