
The family of Dipu Das, a garment worker who was killed in Bhaluka, Mymensingh, has received government compensation in the form of savings certificates worth Tk 2.5 million (approx. ₹18.52 lakh), as reported by the Dhaka Tribune.
According to a report in the Dhaka Tribune, the certificates were formally handed over to the family on Monday through the office of Chief Counsel Muhammad Yunus.
Read also | ‘Don’t say I’m a Hindu’, Yunus warns Bangladeshi minorities amid attack allegations
As Dipu Das was the sole breadwinner of the family, the government pledged to provide financial assistance along with support to build a permanent home to help secure the family’s future and well-being.
The Dhaka Tribune reported that Dipu’s mother Shefali Rani Das had approached the authorities to secure employment for his widow. She also expressed concern that not all suspects had been arrested and said the family was unhappy with the pace and progress of the investigation.
About 9% of Bangladesh’s population of 174 million are religious minorities, primarily Hindus. Their relationship with the Muslim majority has historically been characterized by occasional tension and uncertainty, according to a BBC report.
Read also | Hindu man attacked and set on fire in Bangladesh on New Year’s Eve: Report
The relief will be carried out under the supervision of the Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) of Tarakanda. An amount of Tk 2.5 million (25 lakh taka) has been sanctioned for the construction of the house, which will be carried out by the National Housing Authority, ANI reported earlier on February 10.
In addition, direct financial assistance will be provided: Tk 1 million (10 lakh taka) each to Dipu Das’s father and wife and Tk 500,000 (5 lakh taka) will be deposited in a Fixed Deposit Receipt (FDR) to secure his child’s future.
Who was Dipu Das?
Dipu Chandra Das, a member of the Hindu community from Mymensingh, reportedly worked at the Pioneer Knit Composite Factory, a garment unit located in the Square Masterbari area of Dhaka.
He lived as a tenant in Dubalia area of Para Bhaluka Upazila in Mymensingh. Several reports suggest that he was brutally beaten to death after being accused of blasphemy.
Read also | Who are Goyeshwar Chandra Roy and Nitai Roy Chowdhury, elected as Bangladesh MPs?
“At around 9pm on Thursday, an enraged mob caught him and beat him to death, accusing him of making derogatory remarks about the Prophet. They then set the body on fire,” duty officer Mia told BBC Bangla.
According to local residents and eyewitnesses quoted by Bangladesh’s Bengali news channel Barta Bazar, allegations quickly spread inside the factory and surrounding areas, raising tensions. Shortly after, an angry mob allegedly attacked Das and brutally beat him up, leading to his death on the spot, according to reports.
Probe still on
Twelve people directly connected to the incident have already been taken into custody and the investigation continues. The adviser for education of the Czech Republic, Abrar, said that all those responsible will face justice through the proper legal process.
Earlier, CR Education Adviser Abrar said, “The killing of Dipu Chandra Das was a heinous crime that has no justification and has no place in our society. The government’s support for his family is negligible compared to the value of human life. The state will ensure justice.”
He added: “The manner in which general madness led to the murder of Dipu Das is a matter of shame for the entire nation. Only justice can free us from this shame.”
Read also | Tarique Rahman sworn in as Prime Minister of Bangladesh after BNP’s landslide victory
He further stated: “As a state and society, we respect the peaceful right to freedom of expression for people of all religions, ethnicities and communities, as long as it is exercised with respect for others. No individual has the right to take the law into his own hands, even in moments of disagreement or objection.”
(With input from agencies)