
Pakistan legend Shoaib Akhtar was quick to hit back at his criticism of Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Mohsin Naqvi, calling him a “good guy” just a day after his comments were widely interpreted as a scathing attack on the PCB chief following Pakistan’s humiliating defeat by India in the T20 World Cup.
Akhtar, who then erupted in frustration Pakistan’s crushing loss in Colombo on February 15 by 61 runshe has now clarified that his remarks were not aimed at Naqvi personally. The former bowler alleged that Indian TV channels had twisted his words and insisted that he never intended to label the PCB chairman as incompetent.
IND vs PAK: Complete Score | Highlighting
Speaking on a Pakistani news program, Akhtar sought to set the record straight, stressing that his criticism was directed elsewhere.
“My comments were never directed at Mohsin Naqvi. The remark about incompetence was not directed at him at all – it was meant for top players who run international cricket. Some Indian TV channels twisted my words,” Akhtar said.
“In the same show, I even asked people not to say anything negative about Mohsin bhai because I will not tolerate it. I have always said that he is a good person who really wants to help Pakistan cricket. But at the same time, he is not always given the right advice,” he added.
The clarification comes after Akhtar’s fiery outburst earlier this week, when his post-match rant was seen as a direct swipe at Naqvi and the PCB management.
What Akhtar said after Pakistan’s defeat
After Pakistan’s last one-sided loss to India, Akhtar launched a blistering criticism of the functioning of the board and management overseeing Pakistan cricket.
The former pacer has warned of the dangers of placing unqualified individuals in positions of power, suggesting that poor decision-making at the top inevitably spills over into the field.
Many viewers interpreted his comments as being aimed squarely at Mohsin Naqvi, who has remained at the center of recent controversies in Pakistan cricket, particularly in the build-up to the high-voltage clash in India.
Mohsin Naqvi’s chaotic tenure at PCB
Naqvi’s time at the helm often generated more political headlines than cricketing progress. From refusing to give India their Asia Cup trophy to dramatic boycott threats ahead of a T20 World Cup match, his tenure has been marked by repeated flare-ups.
The build-up to the Colombo match was no different, with Pakistan briefly threatening to boycott the match against India before reversing its stance after meeting with ICC officials.
After the off-field theatrics, Pakistan’s on-field performance offered little resistance. India dominated from start to finish, handing Salman Ali Agha’s side a crushing 61-run defeat and leaving their Super 8 qualification hopes in jeopardy.
India beat Pakistan again
India’s win further extended their dominance in the competition, with the score now 8-1 in ICC T20 meetings.
Pakistan’s batting collapse in Colombo has once again exposed the side’s struggles in marquee encounters and intensified scrutiny of both the players and administrators who run the sport at home.
While Akhtar has now tried to soften his stance on Naqvi, bigger questions about the direction of Pakistan cricket remain unresolved, especially with the team having to win their final group game against Namibia to keep their tournament alive.
T20 World Cup | T20 World Cup Schedule | T20 World Cup Points Table | T20 World Cup Videos | Cricket News | Live Score
– The end
Issued by:
Debodinna Chakraborty
Published on:
February 17, 2026