
Iran’s top diplomat Abbas Araghchi arrived in Geneva on February 16 as Washington and Tehran prepared for a second round of nuclear talks this week, with Iranian officials signaling openness to a deal that brings tangible economic benefits.
The diplomatic push comes as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has escalated his public demands for what any US-backed deal should contain — and what it shouldn’t — and warned that a mere freeze on uranium enrichment would be insufficient. Speaking at the annual conference of the heads of major American Jewish organizations on Sunday, Netanyahu said he had taken his concerns directly to US President Donald Trump during a meeting last week.
Netanyahu’s riders also reveal a widening gap between Israel’s maximalist stance on Iran’s nuclear program and Tehran’s efforts to frame the talks as an economic opportunity for both sides, even as the US ramps up military assets in the region.
Geneva talks gather speed as Iran signals economic conditions
Araghchi’s arrival in Geneva comes amid renewed talks with the US, which resumed earlier in 2026, aimed at preventing a new military confrontation and resolving the decades-long dispute over Iran’s nuclear program.
Iran is seeking a nuclear deal with the United States that provides economic benefits for both sides, according to an Iranian diplomat quoted on Sunday – wording aimed at making any deal more durable and ensuring Washington sees quick returns.
“For the durability of the agreement, it is essential that the US also benefits in areas with high and quick economic returns,” Hamid Ghanbari, the foreign ministry’s deputy director for economic diplomacy, was quoted as saying by the Fars news agency.
Ghanbari said the discussions include “common interests in oil and gas fields, joint fields, mining investments and even aircraft purchases,” highlighting the breadth of Tehran’s proposed incentives.
Netanyahu calls for dismantling, not restrictions
In Geneva, negotiators are expected to focus on nuclear limitations, monitoring and enforcement mechanisms. But Netanyahu’s remarks on Sunday suggest Israel is pushing for a deal structured around dismantling — not restrictions.
Speaking at a conference of Jewish leaders, Netanyahu said he told Trump that any deal must go beyond halting enrichment and instead completely eliminate Iran’s ability to enrich uranium.
“There will be no possibility of enrichment – it will not stop the process of enrichment, but it will dismantle the facilities and infrastructure that allow you to enrich yourself in the first place,” Netanyahu said, according to Reuters.
The Israeli prime minister added that he remained skeptical about the deal, but insisted that at a minimum the enriched material must leave Iran.
“There will be no enrichment option – it won’t stop the enrichment process, but it will dismantle the equipment and infrastructure that allows you to enrich in the first place,”
Israel Sets Terms: Enrichment, Missiles and ‘Axis of Terror’
Netanyahu’s public stance crystallized into a set of conditions he argued should define any deal with Tehran. These include:
- Enriched material out
- No enrichment ability
- Missile range limited
- Regular checks
- Dismantle the “Axis of Terror”
Netanyahu also framed the debate in broader ideological terms, arguing that Jewish communities must respond to growing hostility, particularly in the United States.
“Minorities—whether black, gay, or women—have fought back… what we as Jews must do… starting with the United States, is fight back”
The US is strengthening its regional position as diplomacy continues
The diplomatic journey is unfolding in the shadow of intensified US military preparations. The Trump administration has sent a second aircraft carrier to the region, according to US officials cited in a Reuters report, and is preparing for the possibility of a sustained military campaign if negotiations fail.
The stance has boosted Tehran’s sense of urgency, even as it takes a more conciliatory tone in public statements. Iranian officials have described a willingness to “compromise” to revive the nuclear deal – a marked shift in emphasis from previous months.
Iran’s exiled crown prince calls for global demonstrations
Renewed diplomacy has also emboldened opposition voices outside Iran. Reza Pahlavi, Iran’s exiled crown prince, has called for massive demonstrations in major cities around the world, particularly in response to what he described as a crackdown on protests fueled by economic hardship.
In Munich, about 250,000 people staged a protest demonstration in response to Pahlavi’s call against Iran’s government led by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei.
Netanyahu’s parallel message: Israel aims to reduce dependence on US funding
Netanyahu also used the speech to outline a long-term vision for Israel’s strategic independence, saying he believes the country will not need financial support from the United States within ten years. He described the goal as building an independent arms industry, a move he described as both an economic and security imperative.
The remarks came as Washington continued to present Israel as a “model ally,” even as Netanyahu’s government urged the Trump administration to accept tougher conditions in any eventual nuclear deal with Iran.