
File image: Josh Hazlewood (Getty Images) Australia fast bowler Josh Hazlewood will not go with the national team for the opening leg of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup as the selectors decided to continue his rehabilitation program in Australia rather than rush him into the Sri Lankan competition. National coach Tony Dodemaide confirmed on Monday that Hazlewood will remain in Sydney as the tournament begins on February 7.Go Beyond The Boundary with our YouTube channel. SIGN UP NOW!Australia will open their World Cup campaign on February 11 against Ireland, playing all four of their warm-up group matches in Colombo and Pallekele.
T20 World Cup: Squads, Complete Schedule, Venues & Key Details Explained
“Josh and I felt it was more practical and beneficial for him to continue his rehabilitation at home in familiar surroundings before traveling to Sri Lanka,” Dodemaide said, adding that no specific timetable had been set for Hazlewood’s availability later in the tournament.Hazlewood is recovering from a lingering Achilles problem that arose during his rehabilitation from a previous hamstring strain, an injury that also ruled him out of the 2025-26 Ashes series. Australia’s group stage matches will conclude on February 20, with Oman, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe also in their group.In contrast, there was positive availability news with Nathan Ellis, Tim David and Glenn Maxwell arriving in Colombo. The trio will link up with the rest of the Australian team on Tuesday after the team leaves Pakistan. “Nathan, Tim and Glenn have arrived in Colombo and we look forward to meeting them,” said Dodemaide.Sean Abbott was added to the touring party as a traveling reserve to provide cover for the fast bowling, with Ellis in particular also working his way back to full fitness. “Sean is an accomplished and versatile international player who has experienced numerous World Cup campaigns,” Dodemaide said. “It made sense for him to stay with the group after the Pakistan tour.”





