
India has begun preparations to evacuate its citizens from Iran amid growing concerns over the security situation as the United States has not ruled out possible military action against Tehran following the suppression of nationwide protests.
India on Wednesday advised all its citizens currently residing in Iran to leave the country by available means and avoid traveling there.
Official sources said on Thursday that in view of the evolving situation, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) is taking steps to facilitate the return of Indian citizens who want to return to India. The government is also exploring the possibility of using both civilian and military transport aircraft for evacuation if necessary.
It is estimated that more than 10,000 Indians, including students, are currently living in Iran.
The Indian embassy in Tehran issued an advisory on Wednesday urging all Indian nationals — including students, pilgrims, businessmen and tourists — to leave Iran using available modes of transport. The Mission also asked Indian citizens and Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) to remain vigilant, avoid areas where protests or demonstrations are witnessed and remain in regular contact with the Embassy.
US President Donald Trump meanwhile said that Washington has not ruled out military intervention in Iran.
“If they hang them, you’re going to see some things…If they do something like that, we’re going to take very strong action,” the US president told CBS News on Wednesday.
In a message to protesters on Tuesday, Trump said “help is on the way.”
The US president has already announced a 25 percent tariff on countries trading with Tehran.
Protests began late last month in Tehran after Iran’s currency, the rial, fell to a record low. The protests have since spread to all 31 provinces, evolving from agitation against economic hardship to a demand for political change.
Nationwide protests in Iran have reportedly killed over 2,500 people so far.
(With inputs from news agency PTI)





